View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 22, 2001, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Jim Mills wrote:
"Even if you vehemently disagree with Peter's, or anyone else's, positions, you can't expose the weaknesses of them if they are suppressed.

Jim, I don't know if exposing "the weaknesses" of Peter's positions is anyone's goal. And they certainly haven't been suppressed. You may find them at McGriff's and Eteamz, two boards to which posters have an equal access.

Mr. Osborne has stated numerous times that he enjoys "stirring things up" more than posting factual information. He has also stated how much he likes to "yank the chains" of other posters.

was welcomed on this board and one might welcome him in your home. The rules and expectations of behavior were explained. He repeatedly violated those despite warnings. I don't know about you, but if someone can't behave in my home, I ask him to leave.

Management has posted its policy and Brad has stipulated the consequences of violation. That leaves us all with the choice of following the policy or experiencning the consequences.

Peter has chosen the latter.

This board has put a priority on civility. Again, there are other boards that have not. I understand that Peter posts on at least one of them.

I believe that discussion on this board will rise to a higher level of both accuracy and disagreement without rancor than it would have with. I believe people will be more willing to continue to put forth a position and come back more often to support and enhance it knowing that they will not be the subject of personal attacks for having done so.

I know that it has been tried the other way, and I find the results lacking.

This approach hasn't been tried by any board long enough to see what can happen. I hope Brad continues to allow us to find out.