View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Attention . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Not all post flame the same people . . . all of us get our butts ignited at times . . . it is a sophomoric style but it is an accepted style.
That's the point, Tee. It is NOT "accepted style" here, and never has been. The Forum has ALWAYS had a no flames policy.

Quote:

When a person posts to this board with the attitude of "I am an authority" and ther is a weakness in the argument then questions should be asked of that poster.

This is the issue that normally leads to the increased flaming. We, the unwashed masses, are simply expected to accept as authority anyone who quotes J/R or JEA. This is wrong.
Of course "questions should be asked". That's the whole point of a DISCUSSION board. The asking and answering of questions is, together with the free expression of related ideas and opinions, what constitutes a DISCUSSION.

No-one expects you to "accept as authority anyone who quotes J/R or JEA." We DO expect you to accept as authoritative opinion J/R and JEA themselves. That's not quite the same thing, is it?

Quote:

Steve has hit the nail on the head . . . censorship is sinister. We also have a responsibility to be above it all.
No, Tee, I disagree. Censorship is not sinister of and by itself, but censorship of only opposing ideas IS sinister. We live with censorship on a daily basis. Heck, you can't even watch an episode of Jerry Springer without censorship rearing its ugly head. Some censorship is essential, however. I don't want my kids hearing what some of Springer's guests spew out. I don't want them offended by what some of Springer's guests do with their person. And I don't want to post my ideas in this forum only to be flamed for having them. That is all legitimate censorship, IMHO.

I am heartened, however, that you agree that ALL posters have a responsibility to be above inappropriate behaviour in their posting. If your fellow posters agree and behave accordingly, then we will truly have a "level playing field" in this discussion forum. For too long, IMHO, only the staff writers have been expected to behave with a level of decorum, while everyone else has had almost a free reign. The fact that I rejected that, and started returning flame for flame, is the only reason I believe we are having this discussion.

Cheers,

[Edited by Warren Willson on Feb 21st, 2001 at 05:08 PM]