View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Re: Warren . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
It is my OPINION that censorship of ANY kind is sinister.
Tee: It's a noble sentiment, well said, and one you do not hold. No one believe all censorship is sinister. Free speech has always had limitations -- and rightly so.

We can't have people going around claiming they want to assassinate the president. Screaming "Fire" at a crowded rock concert is not protected. Publishing that someone is a pederast (without proof) is libel. Disclosing confidential information about a company's patents should be subject to censorship.

Finally, you and I both know that when Brad culls words or posts or threads, that is not censorship. Censorship, of the kind you oppose, is prior restraint by the government of ideas the government (typically) doesn't approve of. I join you 100% in distaste for that activity. Like all journalists, you and I oppose such nonsense because it strikes at the very heart of our business.

But Right Sports owns the forum. If the CEO does not want any post to appear that contains the word "referee," that is his perogative and he may delete it as he chooses. He is not engaged in censorship. It's his car; he can choose the brand of gasoline that suits him.