View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Posted below in a closed thread is Brad Batt's rules to not having a post deleted:

Tips on how not to get your thread/post deleted:

1) Discuss umpiring
2) Discuss something marginally related to umpiring
3) Don't attack or "flame" other posters or officials
4) Don't post messages about how you were attacked on another thread
5) Don't start a thread asking why another post was deleted

I AM NOT ASKING WHY ANY POST (YET ALONE COMPLETE THREAD) HAS BEEN DELETED.

THIS THREAD IS RELEVANT TO BASEBALL AS IT DISCUSSES THE RULES BY WHICH WE SHARE OUR THOUGHTS.

It is no different than umps discussing rules while off the field.

I agree with the above principles except the policy for which I have no control over when authoring a post. That policy is whether or not a post will "flame" another member of the board.

Certainly to attack someone personally, is an attack. That can be done directly, or as some may rightly understand in my saying this, through inuendo. To put an end to both level of personal attack is welcome and appropriate and certainly within the realm of the management of the forum.
To attack an idea is not inappropriate. If one disagrees with the idea or the content of a post and wishes to rebut it, then it not only should be allowed but it should be welcomed. That is what this forum is all about. The intensity of the rebuttal(s) will vary from person to person and subject to subject. This should be expected on behalf of management.

However, if one takes the time to author information and post it in a forum and it "flames" another, the author may have little control over that. Sometimes a person can be inflamed over mere opposition of the thought, and other times it is the manner of presentation that inflames someone. Furthermore, a manner that inflames one person, may not inflame another. Point being, if the content is appropriate and relevant, the author should not be responsible for the inflammation.

I must question while it is worthwhile for any umpire to post on any board when, without warning, an entire thread is deleted. Does this mean all posts did not meet the standards? Significant time and research may go into authoring a post to state exactly what you wish it to say. All should not suffer from the acts of a few. It certainly is wasted time for those who appropriately post to have their efforts deleted. I like to read the thoughts and opinions of all, as I like to think my thoughts and opinions may be considered by others. I hate to think that the management of any board would unjustly censor the thoughts of those abiding by its policies, as I can condone and support their taking action on those who do not abide by their policies. However, all should not suffer.

If and when the management feels the guidelines are not appropriately adhered to, can they not simply remove the affected words (such are "bleeped" in other media)? Why must the entire effort of the post be lost? Should we need to maintain copies of all posts? I certainly find that necessary at this point in time. (I, BTW, have had only one board ever delete or censor my posts). Will you provide copies the authors or their posts after you have deleted them? Perhaps if the posts are not becoming this board they can then be posted elsewhere. That could be positive advertising for eUmpire, if in fact, these are poor and unworthy posts. The trash can go elsewhere.

I agree with your right to set your own standards and maintain them, however, I question if in the past bias has not existed in the application of your standards. Therefore, I must also question if I expect it will continue. Certainly I would expect you to disagree and acknowledge that my opinion may differ from that of yours and others, but with many agreeing with both of us.

Again, I wish not to break your rules but rather to understand and discuss them. I WILL retain a copy of this and all posts put on eUmpire (and recommend others do so with their own) as I have no knowledge when it may be deleted. That way, it can always be posted elsewhere to allow others to judge whether you maintain your standards fairly.

Just my opinion,

Steve
EWS

[Edited by Bfair on Feb 21st, 2001 at 03:15 PM]