The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

strange....now in the Cubs-Expos game yesterday, PU Ted Barrett tells the media that he kicked a call at the plate:

(from CNNSI)
-------------------------------------------------------

With runners at second and third and one out, Rivera broke for home on Brian Schneider's grounder. First baseman Derrek Lee's throw home appeared to beat Rivera, who slid outside past catcher Paul Bako and reached with his left hand to touch the plate as he slid by.

Rivera looked up at Barrett, who made no sign until Bako came over and tagged him for the second out. Expos manager Frank Robinson argued the call with Barrett, then crew chief Ed Rapuano -- the second base umpire, to no avail.

Barrett got a different perspective following the game and acknowledged that he missed the call.

"After looking at the replay, it looks like he made a great slide and got his hand in," Barrett said. "So all I've got to figure out now is next time how to get in a position where I can see that."
---------------------------------------------------------

..............what's going on? Is it a good idea to confess your sins to the world like this? I'm getting more confused by the day......or is this another "big dogs can do what they want" situation?

Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LMan
strange....now in the Cubs-Expos game yesterday, PU Ted Barrett tells the media that he kicked a call at the plate:

(from CNNSI)
-------------------------------------------------------

With runners at second and third and one out, Rivera broke for home on Brian Schneider's grounder. First baseman Derrek Lee's throw home appeared to beat Rivera, who slid outside past catcher Paul Bako and reached with his left hand to touch the plate as he slid by.

Rivera looked up at Barrett, who made no sign until Bako came over and tagged him for the second out. Expos manager Frank Robinson argued the call with Barrett, then crew chief Ed Rapuano -- the second base umpire, to no avail.

Barrett got a different perspective following the game and acknowledged that he missed the call.

"After looking at the replay, it looks like he made a great slide and got his hand in," Barrett said. "So all I've got to figure out now is next time how to get in a position where I can see that."
---------------------------------------------------------

..............what's going on? Is it a good idea to confess your sins to the world like this? I'm getting more confused by the day......or is this another "big dogs can do what they want" situation?

No, this is just another case of a good official realizing that he doesn't have to maintain some perceived macho image to earn and maintain respect in his profession. When in reality, the image perceived by others for maintaining this staunch, stubborn, conceited I never make a mistake attitude, un-masks their true inadequacies not only as an official, but also a human being.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone

No, this is just another case of a good official realizing that he doesn't have to maintain some perceived macho image to earn and maintain respect in his profession. When in reality, the image perceived by others for maintaining this staunch, stubborn, conceited I never make a mistake attitude, un-masks their true inadequacies not only as an official, but also a human being.
It's a breath of fresh air. As a result, I have more respect for Ted Barrett.

Nobody expects umpires to be perfect. It's their arrogance that turns people off.

Arrogance is not an affliction necessarily limited to those working professional baseball, by the way.

One of the potentially biggest messes I ever got into as an umpire was squelched by a simple confession of "We blew it, coach."

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 10:20am
Do not give a damn!!

He admitted this to the media?

I have no problem with him admitting a mistake. I just want to know why he is talking to the media. I thought that was a big no no? I know in the NBA and NFL there are rules that strictly forbid the officials to comment to the media.

I guess times are a changin'.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I did not see the game, but I have already received one phone call and a couple of emails from friends/umpires that DID see the game about another call in the game:

Bako was on third. Maddux hits a grounder down the 3B line, Bako heads back to 3B. The ball, in fair territory, hits Bako in the back and bounces into LF. U3 calls the ball fair, and in play.

Well, IF this is what happened, U3 blew this one, where is his confession? 7.08f is pretty clear, a runner hit by a fair batted ball in fair territory is out, ball is dead (assuming it has not yet passed an infielder, etc. etc.) On this play, F5 was behind the runner, so passing an infielder is not an issue.

Now, Steve Stone and Chip Carray tried to justify the call with, "Bako had gotten back to the base before getting hit, so he can't be out if he is on the base. Good call." Well, we know THAT isn't true. But apparently, Robinson or no one else even questioned the call.

Have the facts been presented to me accurately? Is this what happened? And if so, where is U3's mea culpa.

Sounds like Barrett may not have been the only ump on the crew missing one yesterday.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 11:03am

I saw the play...

Quote:
Originally posted by Atl Blue
Have the facts been presented to me accurately? Is this what happened? And if so, where is U3's mea culpa.

Sounds like Barrett may not have been the only ump on the crew missing one yesterday.
...and your take on it was correct. I dunno why interference wasn't called either 'cause that's the reaction I had. But the 8,122 in attendance and the other two thousand watching the game (c'mon, it's the Cubs and Expos) got a good look. I hope the UIC talked about this in the post-game...

...don't get me started on Pat Hughes claiming that an overthrow by Rivera (Expo RF) allowed Bako to score from second because it's "one and one" (ugh)...
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Atl Blue, Im glad you mentioned this other call because I saw it too and had the same reaction: it doesnt matter if Bako was on the bag or not, he's out, yes? I wasnt surprised that the commentators got it wrong (Steve Stone: "now if he'd been off the bag when he was hit, he'd be out"), but there was the 3B ump staring right at it and gesturing 'fair ball', Bako trots home, and NO ONE says a word about it..no ump, no managers, nothing. I thought I was in the twilight zone and that *I* must be wrong! *puzzled*
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 12:19pm

Re: He admitted this to the media?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I have no problem with him admitting a mistake. I just want to know why he is talking to the media. I thought that was a big no no? I know in the NBA and NFL there are rules that strictly forbid the officials to comment to the media.

I guess times are a changin'.

Peace
Your question makes no sense, since it's not a question.
Who else, but the media, asks questions of the umpire crew after the game?
How else do we hear about issues involving professional officials - the media!?!

This game was filled with close and questionable calls. A reporter from WGN (the Cubs flagship) asked him about the two controversial plays. He admitted that he had a good look at the one replay and that “my call was unacceptable” - his words.

As was stated here (very recently), MLB is making their umpires more accountable. We have had over a two dozen umpires explain controversial calls to the media this year. In a major market it gets great play - with the Cubs alone, we have had Brinkman, Bucknor, Rapuano and West explain their controversial plays and kicked calls from this year. How could it be "a no no" when you see it on TV almost every week?

Times have indeed changed - I think that was brought up here recently, too! Officials are being scrutinized more and held accountable. This is all in an effort to get the call right.

As his comment alluded, he will have to get in a better position to make the call. Hell, we teach rookies to set up third base extended. He just got caught with his pants down and is trying to show MLB that he knows that something needs to be done in order to get the call right. (Was that ever discussed here? That might make a good topic, someday.)

Lastly, we like to stay on topic here...this is a baseball site. I believe that this post says it all.

“ JRutledge - Senior Member

I am not offended.
But I would really not want to read about a sport that has nothing to do with the board you posted on.

I will only speak for myself. But I am sure I am not the only one.

Peace

Fox Valley Football Officials

Inter Association Council of Athletic Officials

Athletic Officials Association
Mar 30th, 2004 09:46 AM
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 01:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb This is about the interview, not "getting it right."

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue

Your question makes no sense, since it's not a question.
Who else, but the media, asks questions of the umpire crew after the game?
How else do we hear about issues involving professional officials - the media!?!
Windy, other sports do not allow their officials to speak to the media, no matter what. If anyone comments at all, it is the "Supervisor of Officials" of the NFL or NBA might release a statement to the media. But "calling" officials do not give interviews or even crew chiefs do not give interviews to the media about plays. In some cases if a league or conference knows a mistake has been made, they report the action in a press release. They do not give access to their officials to comment. And in some cases they have been suspended for talking to the media. One of the best examples of this was when Ted Valentine talked to Referee Magazine over the "Bobby Knight" incident. Valentine was suspended for one season.

Quote:

As was stated here (very recently), MLB is making their umpires more accountable. We have had over a two dozen umpires explain controversial calls to the media this year. In a major market it gets great play - with the Cubs alone, we have had Brinkman, Bucknor, Rapuano and West explain their controversial plays and kicked calls from this year. How could it be "a no no" when you see it on TV almost every week?
Well if it is happening on TV every week, I surely do not see it. I have also have tuned out most baseball games, so I can honestly say I have been paying attention. I just know that it is not allowed in the other sports or levels that are on TV.

Quote:
Times have indeed changed - I think that was brought up here recently, too! Officials are being scrutinized more and held accountable. This is all in an effort to get the call right.
What does giving an interview have to do with "getting it right?" My statement has to do with the interview with the media, not the scrutiny that officials find themselves in. Every since SportCenter and 24 hour News and sports channels have been around, of course there is going to be scrutiny. That has been going on for at least the last 25 years.

Quote:
As his comment alluded, he will have to get in a better position to make the call. Hell, we teach rookies to set up third base extended. He just got caught with his pants down and is trying to show MLB that he knows that something needs to be done in order to get the call right. (Was that ever discussed here? That might make a good topic, someday.)
That is all great, but why is he talking to the media about that. Should MLB be evaluating his performance and suggesting what he needs to do next time? That is what other leagues do. They do not go talk to the media about their calls and things they need to work on.

I am not posting this to discuss an issue with you. I just found it odd that MLB makes it acceptable for one of their umpires to discuss plays and situations. In an association that I belong to, there was an official that worked a game that was on national TV. There were two plays in the game that were made that the crew chief admitted that the crew messed up. They did not give an interview or a release a statement from the media. The crew chief (fellow association member) talked to the association about the play and not the media. He explained that he did not want us to go to the public about what he stated in that media. He also told us that media from all over the country tried to get interviews from him by calling his job. His secretary was answering more calls about this game than the reason people normally called for. I just found it interesting that still to this day that if something took place with this official or any official that worked the league would get fined or suspended and that MLB allows their umpires to speak freely to the media about plays. They even suspended Ozzie Guillian(sp?) for commenting on an Umpire's ejection report and I never heard the Umpire comment or give an interview about the situation or Ozzie's comments.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Re: This is about the interview, not

Quote:
Windy, other sports do not allow their officials to speak to the media, no matter what. If anyone comments at all, it is the "Supervisor of Officials" of the NFL or NBA might release a statement to the media. But "calling" officials do not give interviews or even crew chiefs do not give interviews to the media about plays. In some cases if a league or conference knows a mistake has been made, they report the action in a press release. They do not give access to their officials to comment. And in some cases they have been suspended for talking to the media. One of the best examples of this was when Ted Valentine talked to Referee Magazine over the "Bobby Knight" incident. Valentine was suspended for one season.
Right, but baseball doesn't work that way. In baseball, each individual crew chief is responsible for fielding questions from the media. Each crew chief decides on their own whether or not to allow one of his umpires to address questions from the media directly. History has shown that, in the face of a controversial call, the umpires will field indeed field questions.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

I brought this up in a Post "Cubs at Montreal". Today I looked this up in J/R. There are two exceptions where a base is a safe haven. When a runner is on base and gets hit by an infield fly and when a runner is on base and the fielder and the batted ball are in the immediate vicinity of the base. If you think about it what choice does the runner have but to stay on the base otherwise he's an easy out.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 02:40pm

Gordon,

The umpire explained to teh WGN reporter as 7.08g. This might be another reason why the MLB permits the umpires to explain their calls to the media. The confusion that ensued was intense and he was trying to look efficient after kicking his call.

Rut,
Once again, you missed the point. Not only does MLB allow the umpires to talk with the media, they encourage it and have directed their officials to talk with the media in the past. During Spring Training, Joe Brinkman, Ed Rapuano and Joe West gave extensive interviews. It is all in the name of making the game more friendly and accounable.

You claimed to not have seen any of these umpires talk about their calls during the past year. Yet, many members here are saying that they have seen them over the last few months. What exactly are you watching?
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 03:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Not Major League Baseball.

Quote:
Rut,
Once again, you missed the point. Not only does MLB allow the umpires to talk with the media, they encourage it and have directed their officials to talk with the media in the past. During Spring Training, Joe Brinkman, Ed Rapuano and Joe West gave extensive interviews. It is all in the name of making the game more friendly and accounable.
Not sure what giving an interview has to do with accountablity. The umpires are accountable to the League and the ML Office, not the American Media.

Quote:
You claimed to not have seen any of these umpires talk about their calls during the past year. Yet, many members here are saying that they have seen them over the last few months. What exactly are you watching?
Windy,

I do not watch Baseball Tonight every night. I do not watch SportCenter to follow all the MLB games. I would never buy the Major League TV package to follow every pitch or to see managers fall asleep during games. I just found it odd that MLB was allowing umpires to give interviews. They cannot do it in other sports and that is why I found it odd. That is it. That is all. I did not see the play in question or how the umpire blew the call. I am also not debating that he blew the call or that he even gave an interview. I never claimed to be such a baseball fan that I have to know the daily batting average of Albert Pujols. I just found it "curious" why he would give an interview. It appears that MLB allows this and that is fine. I just do not think they should for reasons I have stated. If you feel they should, we will just have to disagree.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 04:36pm

Quote:
Quote:
Rut,
Not sure what giving an interview has to do with accountablity. The umpires are accountable to the League and the ML Office, not the American Media.

How many of you are laughing at this response?
Rut must have some inside information that the MLB hasn’t shared with their umpires. They have ben “interviewed” repeatedly over the pre and regular seasons about their calls.Major League Baseball not only granted them the privilege of talking to the media, they actually encourage it. On WFAN, I’ve heard Gerry Davis and Tim Tschida talk about some of the calls and big league experience. It’s about accountability and changing the perception of the trade.

“Interview” is a word which implies a question is asked by one person and, typically, answered by another. One of the reasons they publicize verdicts and televise trials is accountability. The media is used to hold people accountable for their actions and words daily. I didn’t know that was going to be a show stopper for you. Sorry for confusing you with difficult vocabulary.

Quote:
Windy,

I do not watch Baseball Tonight every night. I do not watch SportCenter to follow all the MLB games. I would never buy the Major League TV package to follow every pitch or to see managers fall asleep during games. I just found it odd that MLB was allowing umpires to give interviews. They cannot do it in other sports and that is why I found it odd. That is it. That is all. I did not see the play in question or how the umpire blew the call. I am also not debating that he blew the call or that he even gave an interview. I never claimed to be such a baseball fan that I have to know the daily batting average of Albert Pujols. I just found it "curious" why he would give an interview. It appears that MLB allows this and that is fine. I just do not think they should for reasons I have stated. If you feel they should, we will just have to disagree.

Peace
Your heading for your initial response tipped all of us that you are not an expert on MLB, you didn’t need to tell us. You should watch those shows once in a while. Not because, you wouldn’t make a comment as inane as “I just found it odd that MLB was allowing umires to give interviews.” Instead, you won’t make the same mistakes and maybe you’ll get past the first round of high school baseball playoffs in Illinois. Oh, I had little doubt that you would not feel comfortable with officials being accountable to the world. So, yes, we will agree to disagree. I believe that we are headed in the right direction. Letting officials hide behind bogus calls is wrong for the game, recruiting of new officials and just bad PR.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Ladies and gentlemen,in this corner is WCB. And in that corner is JR. Me doth really think they JUST CAN'T STAND EACH OTHER.

Holy comment Batman, you mean like brother and sister. No Robin, more like Umpire and Coach.

Hey Bugs, thats just unbaweaveable.

Nah, dey just both eat too many carrots.
Closed Thread