View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LMan
strange....now in the Cubs-Expos game yesterday, PU Ted Barrett tells the media that he kicked a call at the plate:

(from CNNSI)
-------------------------------------------------------

With runners at second and third and one out, Rivera broke for home on Brian Schneider's grounder. First baseman Derrek Lee's throw home appeared to beat Rivera, who slid outside past catcher Paul Bako and reached with his left hand to touch the plate as he slid by.

Rivera looked up at Barrett, who made no sign until Bako came over and tagged him for the second out. Expos manager Frank Robinson argued the call with Barrett, then crew chief Ed Rapuano -- the second base umpire, to no avail.

Barrett got a different perspective following the game and acknowledged that he missed the call.

"After looking at the replay, it looks like he made a great slide and got his hand in," Barrett said. "So all I've got to figure out now is next time how to get in a position where I can see that."
---------------------------------------------------------

..............what's going on? Is it a good idea to confess your sins to the world like this? I'm getting more confused by the day......or is this another "big dogs can do what they want" situation?

No, this is just another case of a good official realizing that he doesn't have to maintain some perceived macho image to earn and maintain respect in his profession. When in reality, the image perceived by others for maintaining this staunch, stubborn, conceited I never make a mistake attitude, un-masks their true inadequacies not only as an official, but also a human being.