View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 03:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Not Major League Baseball.

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Rut,
Once again, you missed the point. Not only does MLB allow the umpires to talk with the media, they encourage it and have directed their officials to talk with the media in the past. During Spring Training, Joe Brinkman, Ed Rapuano and Joe West gave extensive interviews. It is all in the name of making the game more friendly and accounable.
Not sure what giving an interview has to do with accountablity. The umpires are accountable to the League and the ML Office, not the American Media.

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
You claimed to not have seen any of these umpires talk about their calls during the past year. Yet, many members here are saying that they have seen them over the last few months. What exactly are you watching?
Windy,

I do not watch Baseball Tonight every night. I do not watch SportCenter to follow all the MLB games. I would never buy the Major League TV package to follow every pitch or to see managers fall asleep during games. I just found it odd that MLB was allowing umpires to give interviews. They cannot do it in other sports and that is why I found it odd. That is it. That is all. I did not see the play in question or how the umpire blew the call. I am also not debating that he blew the call or that he even gave an interview. I never claimed to be such a baseball fan that I have to know the daily batting average of Albert Pujols. I just found it "curious" why he would give an interview. It appears that MLB allows this and that is fine. I just do not think they should for reasons I have stated. If you feel they should, we will just have to disagree.

Peace