View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Re: Re: He admitted this to the media?

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Times have indeed changed - I think that was brought up here recently, too! Officials are being scrutinized more and held accountable. This is all in an effort to get the call right.

As his comment alluded, he will have to get in a better position to make the call. Hell, we teach rookies to set up third base extended. He just got caught with his pants down and is trying to show MLB that he knows that something needs to be done in order to get the call right.
I agree that most times 3B extended is preferable place to be. The way this play went I think Ted just had it blow up a bit in his face and did not get a good look at the hand touching the plate, not due to angle so much (though 3B extended or point of the plate would have helped some) but due to how close he was.

I have been taught to give yourself some distance. Get back to the edge of the dirt over even just off the dirt to give yourself an better view of the play. That is were I would fault him more than being 1B extended. While he was not dead on top of the play, being another foot or 18 inches back would probably have prevented it. I think he was close enough that all he could do was see if the tag was made and because of the timing of it all, did not get a good look of the hand touching the plate. Thus the kick.

I also have more respect for Ted for admitting the mistake. It takes a real man to admit when he is wrong.

Quote:
(Was that ever discussed here? That might make a good topic, someday.)

I only hope this is not in reference to that mile long spoute fest (mostly of personnal attacks and not informative discussions) about another official overturning (in this case Ted's) a call. Barring instant replay, there is next to no chance of this being "overturned" The play happened at home and, more than likely, no other official would have had a good enough view to "overturn" the call. Maybe 1B would have. 3B and 2b would have probably been blocked off by the catcher to see anything. Am I saying that there is not a 100% chance of that getting "corrected"? No, but the other officials would have had to have a perfect view of it and the plate official would have had to ask if his partner(s) saw anything different. Very few PU's would have gone to ask that question.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.