View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 12:19pm

Re: He admitted this to the media?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I have no problem with him admitting a mistake. I just want to know why he is talking to the media. I thought that was a big no no? I know in the NBA and NFL there are rules that strictly forbid the officials to comment to the media.

I guess times are a changin'.

Peace
Your question makes no sense, since it's not a question.
Who else, but the media, asks questions of the umpire crew after the game?
How else do we hear about issues involving professional officials - the media!?!

This game was filled with close and questionable calls. A reporter from WGN (the Cubs flagship) asked him about the two controversial plays. He admitted that he had a good look at the one replay and that “my call was unacceptable” - his words.

As was stated here (very recently), MLB is making their umpires more accountable. We have had over a two dozen umpires explain controversial calls to the media this year. In a major market it gets great play - with the Cubs alone, we have had Brinkman, Bucknor, Rapuano and West explain their controversial plays and kicked calls from this year. How could it be "a no no" when you see it on TV almost every week?

Times have indeed changed - I think that was brought up here recently, too! Officials are being scrutinized more and held accountable. This is all in an effort to get the call right.

As his comment alluded, he will have to get in a better position to make the call. Hell, we teach rookies to set up third base extended. He just got caught with his pants down and is trying to show MLB that he knows that something needs to be done in order to get the call right. (Was that ever discussed here? That might make a good topic, someday.)

Lastly, we like to stay on topic here...this is a baseball site. I believe that this post says it all.

“ JRutledge - Senior Member

I am not offended.
But I would really not want to read about a sport that has nothing to do with the board you posted on.

I will only speak for myself. But I am sure I am not the only one.

Peace

Fox Valley Football Officials

Inter Association Council of Athletic Officials

Athletic Officials Association
Mar 30th, 2004 09:46 AM