View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I did not see the game, but I have already received one phone call and a couple of emails from friends/umpires that DID see the game about another call in the game:

Bako was on third. Maddux hits a grounder down the 3B line, Bako heads back to 3B. The ball, in fair territory, hits Bako in the back and bounces into LF. U3 calls the ball fair, and in play.

Well, IF this is what happened, U3 blew this one, where is his confession? 7.08f is pretty clear, a runner hit by a fair batted ball in fair territory is out, ball is dead (assuming it has not yet passed an infielder, etc. etc.) On this play, F5 was behind the runner, so passing an infielder is not an issue.

Now, Steve Stone and Chip Carray tried to justify the call with, "Bako had gotten back to the base before getting hit, so he can't be out if he is on the base. Good call." Well, we know THAT isn't true. But apparently, Robinson or no one else even questioned the call.

Have the facts been presented to me accurately? Is this what happened? And if so, where is U3's mea culpa.

Sounds like Barrett may not have been the only ump on the crew missing one yesterday.