The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 13, 2024, 08:07pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Communication during bang-bang play

Today I worked a HS match as R2 with a great official as my partner. We had an interesting play and I'd like to hear thoughts on how to handle it as a team. We were not using headsets. Here's the play.

Setter for Team A is in the back row. He comes to the net to save an overpass. He contacts the ball while it is entirely above the height of the net, but can't pull it back and it goes into the plane of the net.

Team B player jumps to block the back-row attack hit, but misses the ball and hits the net.

Here's what happened. I instinctively blew my whistle and indicated the net fault. And then I gave a discreet "back row" signal.

Normally, I would want to give that discreet signal right away, right? But if I gave the signal, am I going to be late with the net contact? In our post-match discussion, my partner felt that the ball was still in the plane of the net (and was untouched by Team B) when the net contact occurred, so he took the net call.

I absolutely trust him to make that judgment. My question is about how I can be a good teammate on that play. Should I just handle my own net responsibility? Do I give help first? After?

Thoughts?
Old Tue May 14, 2024, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

I think you are right to give the net.

It's not a BRA until the ball completely crosses the plane of the net or is legally blocked. since neither of those things happened, no need to give the discreet BRA signal.
Old Tue May 14, 2024, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

It's not a BRA until the ball completely crosses the plane of the net or is legally blocked. since neither of those things happened, no need to give the discreet BRA signal.
This. When you give discreet help, you should be indicating a fault you feel occurred. Since the attack wasn't completed, the illegal attack signal should not have been given, as no attack is illegal until/unless it's completed.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Tue May 14, 2024, 08:17am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixx
This. When you give discreet help, you should be indicating a fault you feel occurred. Since the attack wasn't completed, the illegal attack signal should not have been given
Ok, I get that. (Like we no longer give "leading fours") But this was so bang-bang, and I wasn't sure if the ball had completely crossed because I'm watching the top of the net, not the ball. So it felt like I should give my R1 information so he could make a decision on the position of the ball. But I bow to the wisdom of the group.

In this play, then, I simply handle my own net responsibility and blow the whistle. If the R1 judges that the ball had completely crossed the plane of the net prior to the net contact, he can tap his chest or something to indicate that he's going with his call prior to my net? Is that how you'd handle it as R1?
Old Tue May 14, 2024, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Ok, I get that. (Like we no longer give "leading fours") But this was so bang-bang, and I wasn't sure if the ball had completely crossed because I'm watching the top of the net, not the ball. So it felt like I should give my R1 information so he could make a decision on the position of the ball. But I bow to the wisdom of the group.

In this play, then, I simply handle my own net responsibility and blow the whistle. If the R1 judges that the ball had completely crossed the plane of the net prior to the net contact, he can tap his chest or something to indicate that he's going with his call prior to my net? Is that how you'd handle it as R1?
Yes -- just like he would judge if a ball was down before the attacker hit the net...'

If he captain comes over to ask about a BRA , and he thinks he might have missed it, he can call you over.
Old Tue May 14, 2024, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post

I've had this happen. I've sold the fault that happened first, and explained to the captain that while Y happened, X happened first, and the first fault is penalized (since they weren't simultaneous).

If CRS is in use, they can certainly challenge if it's in the list of allowable categories. If CRS isn't used, then you have an explanation that (barring other weirdness) would survive a protest.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee