The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

I. Three whistle crew.

A. You are L. A1 dribbling along the endline right in front of you. B1 is defending A1 tight...B1 slaps at the ball and bang, the ball goes OOB right in front of you.
B1 made contact with A1's arm slightly, but enough to make A1 lose the ball. The ball grazed A1's ankle right before it went OOB.
Watta ya got?

B. Same scenario...this time your partner who was T comes in with some help. He says, "Did you see the ball hit the dribbler's ankle?"
Watta ya do? (FWIW, you are the R)
Richland, WA
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:18am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
I. Three whistle crew.

A. You are L. A1 dribbling along the endline right in front of you. B1 is defending A1 tight...B1 slaps at the ball and bang, the ball goes OOB right in front of you.
B1 made contact with A1's arm slightly, but enough to make A1 lose the ball. The ball grazed A1's ankle right before it went OOB.
Watta ya got?

B. Same scenario...this time your partner who was T comes in with some help. He says, "Did you see the ball hit the dribbler's ankle?"

Its a no brainer (that is why I am a sports official, no brains): Common foul on B1.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Yup, hit the whistle

for a foul on B1. He/she altered A1's ability to make a play i.e. B1 caused the ball to go OOB.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I am not sure based on your post if those answers helped you much.

IMO it kind of depends on how much time has elapsed and whether or not you can come in with a late foul. If you can go get the late foul then do so.

If you so choose to pass on the contact then I think you would need to give the ball to B.

If you had the open hand you may want to just go ahead and make a fist and get the foul.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
If the contact was obvious OR if the ball obviously went off A, then you have to call the foul.

If nobody saw the swipe on the arm AND if nobody saw the ball "brush" A's ankle, then OOB to A.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Chuck

I agree with Chuck whole heartedly...and if B's coach happened to see the ball go off of A's ankle, all you have to do is mention that he could have had a foul, and they will usually mind their own business so to speak...
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:58am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
If the contact was obvious OR if the ball obviously went off A, then you have to call the foul.

If nobody saw the swipe on the arm AND if nobody saw the ball "brush" A's ankle, then OOB to A.
Finally, the correct answer.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Did the contact REALLY not contribute to the ball dislodging and going off the ankle? Were the two incidents separated in time at all? I think maybe you had a foul but impossible to tell without video.

But, if you didn't have a foul originally because as you said the contact didn't cause what later happened, then you still don't have a foul. In that case, I'd not be afraid of my partner's advice. You have an OOB situation and he had a better angle and/or clearly saw something you did not.

At any rate, I'm personally not comfortable making calls or passing on calls based on who I think saw or didn't see things. I have enough trouble knowing what I saw to worry about others!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
I. Three whistle crew.

Watta ya got?

Agree with Mark. You said it was enough to lose the ball, so it is a foul. I am not buying into a "delay" here. You call it now for the foul. Forget about who it touched last.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

I've practiced Chuck's logic frequently

By rule it's a foul, but I'd prefer to keep on truckin'.

I used to call that foul a lot, but more veteran officials have told me to just give it to A OOB. And like CMathews said, if anyone of significance complains (B1 or the coach), I very quietly mention that I had the foul first and chose to pass on it and keep the game moving.

This call is questioned roughly 10% of the time from my scientific analysis.

If my partner said anything, I'd reply the same way as to the coach or B1.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Totally depends on the level, intensity and mood of the game. Some games I might call that a foul. Some games I might just give the ball to team A. Depends on what the game needs at that time.

Z
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 09:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Finally, the correct answer.
Absoluuuutely.

There are plenty of times where there "could be" a foul called where it's just easier and better for the flow of the game to give the team the ball out of bounds. If you can get away with it here, do it.