The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 01:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Bang.....bang!!!

Is there ever a situation you could see yourself calling two Ts on a coach or player back to back? If not why? Has it happened to you previously? Stories would be welcomed.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Is there ever a situation you could see yourself calling two Ts on a coach or player back to back? If not why? Has it happened to you previously? Stories would be welcomed.

Peace
I called a personal foul on a player, who then when ballistic! I T'd him up and was on the way to report the foul and the T when he took off his wrist bands and threw them to the floor. All this took place in my view and I gave him his 2nd T.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:

Peace
Yes, without hesitation, done it many times. There is no rule saying that referees cannot assess back to back technical fouls. I don't understand why this situation seems so "tabboo." If you were giving a statement to a pool reporter after a game, would you tell them, "well, I know coach x took a swing at me after the first technical, but since I gave it, I was just walking away because if you give 1 you can't give 2."
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 01:48pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Peace
Of course.

I did it 2 weeks ago.

Coach jumps off his chair running right towards me, "Why the hell isn't that a foul!" The play was a fast break on a turnover and my P was L and had the 1-on-1 match-up. (I was the old L, new T, and wasn't even at the DL yet. Mind you, I had 8 other players to watch.)

I whacked him before he turned around to walk away.

5-10 seconds of nothing, and then he starts again right at me and gestures toward me as well. See ya buddy.

FWIW, our PSO has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to stuff like this.

If a coach (or player) is directly personal with me, I do not wait for my P to react. I take care of business myself. But if my P has a whistle, all the better.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Over the summer

I was watching a game before me with my partner. The lady official blew her whistle three times and gave three signals for T's to the same player, same play.

So reported just one. It was really the funniest thing I had seen in a long time. After the game, I told her, "I know it's summer, but c'mon, 3 whistles? and 3 T's?"

Not exactly what you were asking for, but I thought I would share
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 01:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Not exactly what you were asking for, but I thought I would share
Not looking for that exactly is right, but kind of funny.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
If a coach (or player) is directly personal with me, I do not wait for my P to react. I take care of business myself. But if my P has a whistle, all the better.
Now this just might bring Jurrasic back!
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

There's nothing that says an official can't issue two technical fouls in succession. People take that philosophy too far...if a coach or player does something to earn a second T before I get away from them, I'm not going to let it pass.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 02:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

I did years ago. I've brought up the situation a couple times in different threads.

I called the first T on the HC and was waiting to report it to the table as my partner had just called an intentional foul on the opposing team and hadn't come over yet. The HC continued to stand next to the scorer's table (way out of his box) and continued to yell at me. So I hit him again. He deserved it. And he had a 40 point lead. I have no doubt in my mind that he thought that since I had just called a T on him that I would let him continue to rant.

He was an excellent X's & O's coach (following season he won state championship and now is a lower division college HC) but he was a piece of work on the sidelines, pure and simple. Sarcastic, loud, historionics. Apparently he felt it was his mission to embarass officials.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 02:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

This didn't happen in one of my games, but I was a spectator at a HS boys varsity game quite a while ago and it was so funny, I remembered it all these years.

Late in a close game, kid is driving for a layup but the basket is waived off by one of the refs because of a travel. Coach jumps up and screams, "NO WAY" and throws his clipboard down. Ref whacks him. Coach then yells, "YOU GIVE ME A TECHNICAL FOR THAT? THAT'S BULLSH!T." Same ref gives him whack number two. Coach just stands there and stares for about 5 seconds and then says, "Ok - that one I deserved."
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I did, in my first year. JV boys, V coach whining that the foul count is against him. I tell him that's enough. Partner calls another foul on his team, and he gets going again. Whack!

I'm under the basket administering FT's (first half, other end of the court), and I STILL hear him chirping, and everyone can hear him. I wait... wait ... wait ... we're done with FT's and he still going. My partner, Methuselah, is oblivious, so I get him again.

Might be my only coach ejection in a school game... I'd have to think about that.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 02:40pm
Esteemed Participant

Last season...JC coach stands up and yells at my P who is running past him "That's bullsh!t!" and I hit him with first T (just quicker than my P). He then turns to me as I am walking to the table and yells "You little motherf---ker" and I hit him with the 2nd. He was headed out the door before I had finished reporting the first one.

He sat out the next game and was fired at the end of the season.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 02:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Last season...JC coach stands up and yells at my P who is running past him "That's bullsh!t!" and I hit him with first T (just quicker than my P). He then turns to me as I am walking to the table and yells "You little motherf---ker" and I hit him with the 2nd. He was headed out the door before I had finished reporting the first one.
Sensitive about your height?
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

My first season back after many years not officiating I'm calling a 2-man BJV game. The home HC made sure to mention to us after the pre-game that the team they're playing was pretty grabby and to watch it early.

We're not 3 minutes into the game when his team coughs the ball up out of bounds in the face of full-court pressure. He yells at the top of his lungs "They're raping us out there!!!" Wack!

I don't even get through reporting the technical when he yells "That's the first call you've got right all day!!!" Wack! Second T.

After the game, while the varsity crew was trying to talk me down (remember - back after long break, agitated at having had the game go that way, and was hyped up having never tossed a coach before) the coach came back and apologized for his behavior.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Last year, girls 8th grade game - coach doesn't like a call. I'm reporting, coach is closer and closer to the table still complaining. I tell him that's enough and turn away to continue the game but he wouldn't let it go. I assessed the first. He continued, said a few more things very loudly and then I remembered some of the discussions on this board about taking care of business. This seemed to be one of those times so I rewarded his behavior with the 2nd.

I called the assignor that night to let him know what had happened. What I didn't know was that the league president had been in the stands that day, had already talked to the assignor and told him that if it were him he would have tossed the coach much sooner.