Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 17, 2015, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Now drifting into lineup card management, what is the best practice to mark the card when this happens? I keep a list on the back of the team's card with the conference type, inning and player numbers if I can get it.

Example from a recent game card:

Code:
Offcon 2 #4
OC 3 #15
OC 4 BR #33 + runners

Defcon 3 Team
DC 4 F1@circle
Should I just write #46 MAY NOT PITCH after the 4th conference?
I gave up keeping track of OC's a long time ago - they only get one, and when I do get one, I am fairly emphatic telling the coach, "Coach, that's your conference for the inning", or such. Never had a problem with that.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2015, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Yeah, NFHS' has a bit of overkill to address different scenarios seemingly created by unnecessary "what if" scenarios. However, I'd like to hear what is so poor about the wording of ASA's. Seems pretty clear to me.
Simply put, by the clear wording of the rule, since there is no charged conference if the pitcher is removed, the coach could go out and "chat" then remove the pitcher. No charged conference. Next pitcher, same thing. This can go on endlessly without there ever being a charged conference. Now there was a rule interpretation provided several years ago, which completely contradicts the rule itself. Then you can look at the rule vs. rules supplement for more inconsistencies.

The purpose of the rule is to limit delays. As written, the rule wouldn't work as long as the pitcher was removed.

Additionally, ASA wants to distinguish between "Good game, Mary, give me the ball. Ump, 12 is going in for 14" and "Ump, 12 is going in for 14. Good game, Mary. Give me the ball." Again, no time difference. Just a sequence. One is charged, one is not. That's the rule interpretation, not withstanding the fact that if is completely at odds with the rule.

I also think that in extra innings it ought to be one charged per pitcher per inning (in regulation as well). Now that they are in extra innings with everything on the line, ASA limits the coaches' ability to conference with a new pitcher.

It's a mess. You can argue all you want that the rule works. But as written as well as interpreted, it's a disaster.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2015, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Here's the terrible interpretation unsupported by the rules and rules supplement:

Charged Conference?
Regarding a charge conference, should a coach be charged with a conference for going to the area of the eight-foot circle, talking to the pitcher, and then making a pitching change? What if the coach informs the umpire prior to talking to the pitcher?

In order to answer these questions we must visit the definition of “Charged Conference”. The definition states that a charge conference is: “When a team representative requests a suspension of play or DELAYS the game for the purpose of ‘delivering a message’ to another team member.” In the first question the team representative – coach – spoke with the pitcher thus delivering a message to that player and then informed the umpire that the pitcher was being removed. This IS a charged conference. With respect to the second question, if the coach informs the umpire that the pitcher is being removed and then proceeds to the eight-foot circle, it is NOT considered a conference. In this instance it is simply part of the pitching change (editor's note: Isn't taking the ball and saying "Good game" simply part of the pitching change?"; therefore, a conference should not be charged as the purpose of the visit is to change pitchers and not to deliver a message.

The sequence is the key, not whether the foul line was crossed by the coach. Again, if the umpire is informed of the pitching change prior to a message being delivered, a conference is NOT charged.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2015, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Here's the terrible interpretation unsupported by the rules and rules supplement:

Charged Conference?
Regarding a charge conference, should a coach be charged with a conference for going to the area of the eight-foot circle, talking to the pitcher, and then making a pitching change? What if the coach informs the umpire prior to talking to the pitcher?

In order to answer these questions we must visit the definition of “Charged Conference”. The definition states that a charge conference is: “When a team representative requests a suspension of play or DELAYS the game for the purpose of ‘delivering a message’ to another team member.” In the first question the team representative – coach – spoke with the pitcher thus delivering a message to that player and then informed the umpire that the pitcher was being removed. This IS a charged conference. With respect to the second question, if the coach informs the umpire that the pitcher is being removed and then proceeds to the eight-foot circle, it is NOT considered a conference. In this instance it is simply part of the pitching change (editor's note: Isn't taking the ball and saying "Good game" simply part of the pitching change?"; therefore, a conference should not be charged as the purpose of the visit is to change pitchers and not to deliver a message.

The sequence is the key, not whether the foul line was crossed by the coach. Again, if the umpire is informed of the pitching change prior to a message being delivered, a conference is NOT charged.
This makes sense. Now, here is the coaches argument on this.

My pitcher has been pitching a long day, and we are now late in the 2nd game of a DH. The coach comes out and asks the pitcher if she can continue. The pitcher says no. The coach then comes over and states they will be making a pitching change. By the wording, this is a defensive conference and a pitching change.

Heck, we see this a lot. The coach comes out, talks to the pitcher before informing the umpire of the pitching change. Or she just announces the change when she gets to the circle.