The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 07:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 73
At a varsity double-header last Saturday the first base coach, after her team made the third out, ran out to the pitcher's mound and smoothed the landing area. She then rubbed the dust of the ball then handed the ball and talked to the pitcher. I guess it is their supestition. Never saw it before and couldn't find any against it in the rule book. The defensive conference rule doensn't come into play because time wasn't called but I don't think the coach should be out there talking to her pitcher before the warm up pitches are started. Your thoughts?
__________________
Tony Vechiola

Carol Stream, Illinois
NFHS
ASA
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 07:47am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Quote:
Originally posted by 5 sport ref
At a varsity double-header last Saturday the first base coach, after her team made the third out, ran out to the pitcher's mound and smoothed the landing area. She then rubbed the dust of the ball then handed the ball and talked to the pitcher. I guess it is their supestition. Never saw it before and couldn't find any against it in the rule book. The defensive conference rule doensn't come into play because time wasn't called but I don't think the coach should be out there talking to her pitcher before the warm up pitches are started. Your thoughts?
5 sport ref,
What could it hurt? They are still on the 60 second clock.
Another option could be to ask the ump to fix the mound while the coach spoke to the pitcher on the sidelines.
mick

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 08:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sherman, TX
Posts: 4,359
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

What could it hurt? They are still on the 60 second clock.
Another option could be to ask the ump to fix the mound while the coach spoke to the pitcher on the sidelines.
mick

There's a mound out there in the pitching circle? What is this sport coming to?
__________________
Scott


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 09:29am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Aaaargh!

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

What could it hurt? They are still on the 60 second clock.
Another option could be to ask the ump to fix the mound while the coach spoke to the pitcher on the sidelines.
mick

There's a mound out there in the pitching circle? What is this sport coming to?
Got me again !
Busted !
mick
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 10:00am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally posted by 5 sport ref
At a varsity double-header last Saturday the first base coach, after her team made the third out, ran out to the pitcher's mound and smoothed the landing area. She then rubbed the dust of the ball then handed the ball and talked to the pitcher. I guess it is their supestition. Never saw it before and couldn't find any against it in the rule book. The defensive conference rule doensn't come into play because time wasn't called but I don't think the coach should be out there talking to her pitcher before the warm up pitches are started. Your thoughts?
I heard of a game last year where the umpire called a ball on the first batter every time the coach touched the ball after the inning was over. He even went as far as to start counting seconds, and for every second over 60 he was calling a ball on the batter.

Personally, I don't have a problem, as long as the game isn't being delayed.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 10:30am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: north central Pa
Posts: 2,360
Talking

Tony,
That's a relatively common practice - it is not a conference unless they take "too" long.
__________________
Steve M
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 11:40am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 414
I was even told about 6 years ago by an ASA clinician that (Oklahoma) didn't want us touching the ball either. Throw it down into the circle. I used to get it, stand in the circle, and hand it to the next pitcher. This was my way of saying "hurry up, get out here & take you warm ups" without actually saying it.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 298
As long as the coach doesn't hold up the game.....Leave them alone. That's no different than the coach calling for a quick defensive huddle BEFORE they take the field.

FU.....Who was insane enough to come up with that ruling? How long did the coach last before they came unglued and were tossed?
__________________
We Don't Look for Problems.....They find Us.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
As long as the coach doesn't hold up the game.....Leave them alone. That's no different than the coach calling for a quick defensive huddle BEFORE they take the field.

FU.....Who was insane enough to come up with that ruling? How long did the coach last before they came unglued and were tossed?
Coach was an umpire that knew the game umpire was an idiot and just stopped going to the mound...he would talk to the pitcher as we walked across the diamond.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Posts: 6,166
Wink

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FUBLUE
Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps

Coach was an umpire that knew the game umpire was an idiot and just stopped going to the mound...he would talk to the pitcher as we walked across the diamond.
There's a mound out there in the pitching circle? What is this sport coming to?
__________________
Officiating takes more than OJT.
It's not our jobs to invent rulings to fit our personal idea of what should and should not be.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 508
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CecilOne
Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps

Coach was an umpire that knew the game umpire was an idiot and just stopped going to the mound...he would talk to the pitcher as we walked across the diamond.
There's a mound out there in the pitching circle? What is this sport coming to?
I can say "mound" and not be incorrect--the diamond in question has about a six inch rise where th pitching plate is located. Something about drainage or something like that.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: North Texas
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

... ask the ump to fix the mound ....
mick

NEVER - we are umpires, not groundskeepers ... but it would be interesting for a coach to ask me to do so. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 04:45pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Quote:
Originally posted by 3afan
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

... ask the ump to fix the mound ....
mick

NEVER - we are umpires, not groundskeepers ... but it would be interesting for a coach to ask me to do so. :-)
3afan,
Well, in my games, if the *circle* needs some work, I call time, and I either do it, or have it done (often by the Home team).
We play in an area where the teams play for the privilege of using, what I consider, unprepared fields.
mick
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 10:21pm
Never Stop Learning
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 516
Charged Conference doesn't come into play until the umpire declares the ball live to start a half inning. Why bother with a coach if the team hasn't used there minute or five pitches. If he isn't gone and holds up the game he just used one when you declare it live. For that matter would you tell the offensive coach not to talk to the on deck batter while they are in the on deck circle before the ball is declared live.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 11:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,476
Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
I was even told about 6 years ago by an ASA clinician that (Oklahoma) didn't want us touching the ball either. Throw it down into the circle. I used to get it, stand in the circle, and hand it to the next pitcher. This was my way of saying "hurry up, get out here & take you warm ups" without actually saying it.
Similar.
Had a pitcher arrive at the circle with me holding and ready to her toss the ball. She asked that I just drop it and let her pick it up. Flabbergasted, I said okay, dropped it, and left.

I think I came back later accidently and tossed her the ball only to have her knock it to the ground so she could pick it up.... hot potato!

Superstition beats congenialty. Pitchers are a bunch of head cases.

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Apr 17th, 2004 at 12:58 PM]
__________________
"There are no superstar calls. We don't root for certain teams. We don't cheat. But sometimes we just miss calls." - Joe Crawford
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1