The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Doing plate last night. ASA rules. Coach visits pitcher for the second time and after talking to her awhile she changes pitchers (no injury by the way). I record this as a charged conference because the coach did not indicate a change until after she spoke to the pitcher (ASA 5-7-C-1). I turn to local UIC standing behind the cage and say "2nd charged conference in this situation, right?" He says no. Anytime pitcher is removed no conference is charged. I don't think this is right but I keep it to myself (he is the UIC after all). Game continues. Coach goes on to talk to and remove various pitchers 3 other times, each time with me not charging it (as per UIC).

Am I missing something? Fed 3-7-1 mentions no charged conference when pitcher is removed. But ASA seems to be clear about the coach informing the umpire before talking to any player. Is there a difference between the two organizations? Was my UIC right?
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy
Doing plate last night. ASA rules. Coach visits pitcher for the second time and after talking to her awhile she changes pitchers (no injury by the way). I record this as a charged conference because the coach did not indicate a change until after she spoke to the pitcher (ASA 5-7-C-1). I turn to local UIC standing behind the cage and say "2nd charged conference in this situation, right?" He says no. Anytime pitcher is removed no conference is charged. I don't think this is right but I keep it to myself (he is the UIC after all). Game continues. Coach goes on to talk to and remove various pitchers 3 other times, each time with me not charging it (as per UIC).

Am I missing something? Fed 3-7-1 mentions no charged conference when pitcher is removed. But ASA seems to be clear about the coach informing the umpire before talking to any player. Is there a difference between the two organizations? Was my UIC right?
You are correct, ASA is quite explicit on this point. Your UIC is mistaken. Tell him to read POE #11. He may notice that this portion is shaded, which indicates it is a change this year.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Might have gotten lucky.....

If I'm reading this right and not missing anything you may not have had a problem here. By Luck. #1 Mr Irish and yourself are competely correct on the charged conference item. But as per you post...the coach went out the second time and changed pitchers (conference #2) coach went out 3 other times (conferences #3, #4...gotta change on this one and by your post he did, #5, gotta change pitchers again and he did as per your post) if he changed the pitchers each time the coach did it right by the book but by luck and only if he never put the pitchers from conferences #3 and #4 back into pitch after he removed them. Make sense? Nice job in not trying to make any "points" with the UIC at this time. Pick your battles and battle times.