The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 19, 2015, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

What's the call

Ok, heard this from a ASA UIC at a clinic today.

He was working a HS Varsity game yesterday (NFHS rules).

R1 is standing on first base. F1 has the ball in her possession and is between the circle and second base. As she steps into the circle (one foot in, one foot still out) R1 takes off and steals 2nd base. F1 never even noticed what was going on and R1 made it to second without a play being made.

What's the call?
Old Mon Apr 20, 2015, 02:34am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Ok, heard this from a ASA UIC at a clinic today.

He was working a HS Varsity game yesterday (NFHS rules).

R1 is standing on first base. F1 has the ball in her possession and is between the circle and second base. As she steps into the circle (one foot in, one foot still out) R1 takes off and steals 2nd base. F1 never even noticed what was going on and R1 made it to second without a play being made.

What's the call?
Stolen base as the pitcher is not in the Circle.
A pitcher is in the 16 foot Circle when both feet are within or partially within the line.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2015, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Nothing.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2015, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Safe.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 20, 2015, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

We all agree on this.

The umpire working the same had to think about it for a second, as he wasn't 100% sure on. He used the idea that the rule would be comparable to a batter in the box. To be in the batters box, both feet needed to be in the box. Using that logic, the call was safe and the coach wasn't happy. He said this was a play he had never seen his career as a high school, college and ASA umpire.

I think we should be able to agree, the coach needs to make sure his pitchers (and rest of the team) are paying attention, as this play was an inexcusable lapse on the defenses part.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2015, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
We all agree on this.

The umpire working the same had to think about it for a second, as he wasn't 100% sure on. He used the idea that the rule would be comparable to a batter in the box. To be in the batters box, both feet needed to be in the box. Using that logic, the call was safe and the coach wasn't happy. He said this was a play he had never seen his career as a high school, college and ASA umpire.

I think we should be able to agree, the coach needs to make sure his pitchers (and rest of the team) are paying attention, as this play was an inexcusable lapse on the defenses part.
Both feet in the pitcher's circle (both partially in or on the line is OK) is different than both feet in the batter's box (both must be completely within at the start of the pitch).
Old Mon Apr 20, 2015, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
Both feet in the pitcher's circle (both partially in or on the line is OK) is different than both feet in the batter's box (both must be completely within at the start of the pitch).
He used it more of when the batter hits a ball. As long as part of the foot is on the line, he is still in. In this case, one foot was completely outside the circle, thus the pitcher wasn't in the circle, thus the only thing he had was a pissed off defensive coach.