The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #46 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 11:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Initial play is irrelevant to the scenario in the OP.
I'm going to ask you to explain this.

Initial play (as defined in FED rules) is the centerpoint of this whole play.
__________________
It's what you learn after you think you know it all that's important!
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 11:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Posts: 6,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
--- if the ball hit R1, and then R1 and F4 collide... don't we have obstruction (and likely a quite pissed off coach!)?
Obviously for the newbies you mean if F4 hindered the runner!
The OP implies already reaching 2nd.
__________________
Officiating takes more than OJT.
It's not our jobs to invent rulings to fit our personal idea of what should and should not be.
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm going to ask you to explain this.

Initial play (as defined in FED rules) is the centerpoint of this whole play.
It's the OP perception that it is the centerpoint. This is a deflected batted ball hitting the runner not in contact with a base. It is not interfering with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball on the initial play.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 01:12am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 372
pull the word "act" on these boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
It's the OP perception that it is the centerpoint. This is a deflected batted ball hitting the runner not in contact with a base. It is not interfering with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball on the initial play.
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 03:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 372
OK, I found this. comment if you think this does or does not apply.

this reads as an initial play per the casebook 2.47.3B.

in this case, it states that if the ball deflects off the pitcher, it is still considered an initial play. however the case refers to a runner contacting the fielder after a deflected ball. it is not addressing a runner being struck by that deflected ball.

per 2.47.3B, if it is deflected off of any fielder other than the pitcher, it is no longer an initial play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
It's the OP perception that it is the centerpoint. This is a deflected batted ball hitting the runner not in contact with a base. It is not interfering with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball on the initial play.
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 07:34am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
OK, I found this. comment if you think this does or does not apply.

this reads as an initial play per the casebook 2.47.3B.

in this case, it states that if the ball deflects off the pitcher, it is still considered an initial play. however the case refers to a runner contacting the fielder after a deflected ball. it is not addressing a runner being struck by that deflected ball.

per 2.47.3B, if it is deflected off of any fielder other than the pitcher, it is no longer an initial play.
Again, and again and again.........there is no interference with the fielder, so the initial play issue is irrelevant.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 09:35am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
I'm stunned that this thread has become 4 pages of actual umpires (not fans and coaches) who don't see the glaring difference between interfering with a fielder and getting struck by a ball (or interfering with a ball). They are treated completely differently.
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'

West Houston Mike
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 10:55am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 372
who said interference? there is no "act". didn't you take everyone on that road before?

in the casebook, there was contact w/ the fielder, so that was the act. this is a deflected ball, but the casebook calls it an "initial play". let you guys reconcile that.

I just posted what I found. I don't even work HS.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Again, and again and again.........there is no interference with the fielder, so the initial play issue is irrelevant.

Last edited by shagpal; Tue Feb 18, 2014 at 11:00am.
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I'm stunned that this thread has become 4 pages of actual umpires (not fans and coaches) who don't see the glaring difference between interfering with a fielder and getting struck by a ball (or interfering with a ball). They are treated completely differently.
Apparently, it is a reading comprehension thing.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Runner Safe or out 2 rpadgett46231 Softball 2 Tue Apr 23, 2013 04:36pm
Runner Safe or out rpadgett46231 Softball 3 Sun Apr 21, 2013 06:41am
Safe or out kab9 Softball 12 Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:56am
runner out or safe? Glen G Softball 15 Wed Aug 20, 2003 09:41am
Out or Safe? Huskerblue Baseball 15 Wed Jun 05, 2002 03:34pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1