The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Probably, but the NFHS ruling is
"NHFS 9.1.1 does not include the verbiage about when the force is determined (time of infraction or time of appeal) and the casebook plays support the interp that since R3 was forced to 2B at the time she missed 2B this appeal is considered a force play and as the third out no runs score."
I think what the casebook does is stretch exception e under 9-1-1. When more than one out is declared by an umpire the defense may choose the out to which is gains th advantage. In this case I can see this exception being used to declare the order of outs which occured. In this case, even though the appeal of the B-R missing first was done first, followed by the out of R3 for missing second, the outs are really declared as R3 out first, then the B-R, both of which are considered force outs, and thus no runs score.

As I've said, the rules need to be clearer.

Personally I wish they would all go to 1 rule code and be done with it. To many rule codes just causes problems. It is the same with track and field and with swimming and diving, two other sports I work.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
what the casebook does
is the point.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When more than one out is declared by an umpire the defense may choose the out to which is gains the advantage.
what ?
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
is the point.
I disagree with that statement. The rules are the rules, the case book is not the rules. The case plays should be the interpretations of the rules, BUT they don't cover each and every situation, nor do are they always correct. We had a situation several seasons ago in the casebook for track and field which stated one thing, but it failed to take into account a different rule which was more applicable to the situation. There was a clarification issues late in the season to the caseplay, and the following season the case play was changed.

Going strictly by the casebook doesn't always work because slight differences is the rules make a big difference, which is why clarity of the rules needs to be made, and Fed has a bad issue with this in my opinion.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
what ?
Read 9-1-1- exception e.

"When there is more than one out declared by the umpire which terminates the half inning, (the defense may select the out to which is to its advantage.)

Like I said, it is a stretch to apply this exception, but it is the only way I can find even stretching the rule, to not apply 2-24-2 on this play.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Read 9-1-1- exception e.

"When there is more than one out declared by the umpire which terminates the half inning, (the defense may select the out to which is to its advantage.)

Like I said, it is a stretch to apply this exception, but it is the only way I can find even stretching the rule, to not apply 2-24-2 on this play.
I'm speechless.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
I think we discussed this ASA/NFHS difference about a month ago but I can't find the thread now.
Does the Run Count?
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 03:16pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I disagree with that statement. The rules are the rules, the case book is not the rules. The case plays should be the interpretations of the rules, BUT they don't cover each and every situation, nor do are they always correct. We had a situation several seasons ago in the casebook for track and field which stated one thing, but it failed to take into account a different rule which was more applicable to the situation. There was a clarification issues late in the season to the caseplay, and the following season the case play was changed.

Going strictly by the casebook doesn't always work because slight differences is the rules make a big difference, which is why clarity of the rules needs to be made, and Fed has a bad issue with this in my opinion.
The casebook provides plays to help interpret the rules. If there is a case play that is wrong, then someone needs to point that out to the organization's headquarters. There should never be a situation where a case play doesn't follow the rule.

You keep pointing out that the case play Hugo provided isn't the same as Mike's play in the original post. True. But the point of the case play is that it highlights the FED position that when a runner misses a base and was forced at the time she missed it, any appeal out of that runner is still considered a force out, regardless of what happened to a trail runner afterward. That's 180 out of how ASA treats it.

I personally don't think it's confusing.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Read 9-1-1- exception e.

Oh, that !

OK, so apparently the case play is needed and clears up the above.

Quote:
When there is more than one out declared by the umpire which terminates the half inning, (the defense may select the out to which is to its advantage.)
When has anyone seen this applied?
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, that !
When has anyone seen this applied?
bases loaded, 2 outs. B1 hits a double in the gap but misses first base. R1 and R2 both score before R3 is thrown out at 3rd for the 3rd out of the inning. Defense stays on the field and properly appeals B1 missing 1st base.

Defensive coach now has the option of turning this '4th out' into the '3rd out' rule applications and no runs would score.

(in ASA, all runs that scored on the play would still count as a '4th out' appeal can only be made on a runner who has scored)
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Here is the text cut and pasted from the 2011 NFHS SB Case Book:
Thanks, Hugo.. by the way for those of you following along in the book at home casebook 9.1.1.N from 2011 is now 9.1.1.O in the 2013 book.

I agree with the philosophy that if a trailing runner is put out prior to the appeal then the appeal should be a time play not a force out. ASA obviously agrees too because they have specifically stated in the rules that determining force or not is based on the situation at the time of the appeal not the time of the baserunning infraction.

The NFHS rules do not have this verbiage and the casebook plays clarify that NFHSs position is that you base the force on the situation at the time of missing the base. If she was being forced to the base when she missed it, NFHS says to consider it a force.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Personally I wish they would all go to 1 rule code and be done with it. To many rule codes just causes problems. It is the same with track and field and with swimming and diving, two other sports I work.
Now your just preaching to the choir, brother!
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Read 9-1-1- exception e.

Only one out terminated the inning in the OP..the appeal play. 9--1-1-e would apply where you have a fourth out appeal.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 08:15am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
Now your just preaching to the choir, brother!
I doubt you'll ever see one rule set for all organizations and levels of a sport. Rules are modified to accommodate various factors of the participants, such as skill levels, ages, safety requirements, desires to maximize playtime, etc. etc.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker