The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 28, 2013, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

College and stepping back.

I had a coach tell me the other day that he sees college pitchers stepping back before the pitch.

But they are required to remain in contact with the plate, are they not? I am thinking what he's seeing is a toe pointing original contact that goes to flat foot before the pitch.

Rita
Old Sun Apr 28, 2013, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

If Im not mistaken, FED is the lone rules set that still allows the step back.
Old Sun Apr 28, 2013, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
I had a coach tell me the other day that he sees college pitchers stepping back before the pitch.

But they are required to remain in contact with the plate, are they not? I am thinking what he's seeing is a toe pointing original contact that goes to flat foot before the pitch.

Rita
I agree with your assessment. See it a lot and most umpires, including myself are not going to go crazy over the pitcher just dropping the heal unless the toe is literally pulled away from the PP.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 06:15am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Little League softball allows it as well.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am thinking what he's seeing is a toe pointing original contact that goes to flat foot before the pitch.
NCAA rules allow for loss of contact with the plate if it is a result of ^this^ motion and not a slide/step back.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There was a rumor that they were going to change it this year, but it was just that... a rumor.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
There was a rumor that they were going to change it this year, but it was just that... a rumor.
The two feet on pitchers plate and step back before hands together are listed in varying terms (so, assumably multiple proposals) on this year's annual NFHS poll preliminary to their annual spring Rules Committee meeting.

If nothing else, it isn't a dead topic. No way of knowing before June'ish if there is sufficient support for either or both as changes.

Remember, their philosophy is (in my words, as expressed to me):

1) We are here representing and enabling ONLY high school participation, not as the minor leagues for college softball.
2) NFHS rules allow these alternative methods of pitching; if players and coaches think it it is counterproductive to their personal goals, they don't have to pitch that way.
3) When enough of our members indicate they don't have widespread and overall credible pitchers even WITH these rules advantages, and that participation may go down even more if we remove them, then removing them is not advantageous to goal #1.
4) We do listen to our members, that is why we have a (limited participation) poll to solicit that feedback.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
What about loss of contact to the side by a pitcher who starts with her foot at the side edge of the pitcher plate?
Legal under 10.4.3. Both feet must be (fully) within the 24" width only while taking the signal (10.2.1.1); it is legal to slide across just as it is forward, so long as contact is maintained, or the exceptions to contact are met.

The windup portion has no additional foot restrictions.

Once in the step/stride portion of the pitch, the foot restriction is only that some portion of the stride foot must land on or within the 24" lines.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rita
From NCAA 10.4.2
"A portion of the nonpivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher's plate at all times before beginning the forward step.

Note: If the pitcher has toed the pitcher's plate, and, without stepping or sliding backward, simply drops her heel that forces her to lose contact with the pitcher's plate, there is no violation.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
From NCAA 10.4.2
"A portion of the nonpivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher's plate at all times before beginning the forward step.

Note: If the pitcher has toed the pitcher's plate, and, without stepping or sliding backward, simply drops her heel that forces her to lose contact with the pitcher's plate, there is no violation.
Thank you. That's exactly what I need.

Rita
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Legal under 10.4.3. Both feet must be (fully) within the 24" width only while taking the signal (10.2.1.1); it is legal to slide across just as it is forward, so long as contact is maintained, or the exceptions to contact are met.

The windup portion has no additional foot restrictions.

Once in the step/stride portion of the pitch, the foot restriction is only that some portion of the stride foot must land on or within the 24" lines.
Nevermind, I listened to someone who said the stride foot could be next to the plate, as long as it touched, even if that was outside the 24" width.
Old Fri May 03, 2013, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ASA Men's allow the pitcher to step back. (And just about anything else he want to do.)
Old Fri May 03, 2013, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Original post was about college ball which doesnt have mens fast pitch softball. Didnt think there was any need to specify mens vs womens rule differences.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Little League softball allows it as well.
Not completely true. Had this come up just this weekend and had to show it to other umpires in the book. They can move the foot backward but it must remain in contact with the pitching plate. This differs from NFHS where you can take a full blown step backward.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
ASA Men's allow the pitcher to step back. (And just about anything else he want to do.)
So does Calvinball.

West Houston Mike