The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Not completely true. Had this come up just this weekend and had to show it to other umpires in the book. They can move the foot backward but it must remain in contact with the pitching plate. This differs from NFHS where you can take a full blown step backward.
How do you get that?

8.01(b) Both feet must be on the ground within or partially within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate. INSTRUCTOR COMMENTS:
Whether the pitcher chooses to have only the pivot foot or both feet in contact with the pitcher’s plate, the non-pivot foot
may not extend beyond the limit of the pitcher’s plate (toward first base or toward third base).

8.01(g) A backward step may be taken before or simultaneous with the hands being brought together. The pivot foot must remain
in contact with the pitching plate at all times prior to the forward step.

There is nothing that says both feet must be in contact with the plate.

Rita
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
How do you get that?

8.01(b) Both feet must be on the ground within or partially within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate. INSTRUCTOR COMMENTS:
Whether the pitcher chooses to have only the pivot foot or both feet in contact with the pitcher’s plate, the non-pivot foot
may not extend beyond the limit of the pitcher’s plate (toward first base or toward third base).

8.01(g) A backward step may be taken before or simultaneous with the hands being brought together. The pivot foot must remain
in contact with the pitching plate at all times prior to the forward step.

There is nothing that says both feet must be in contact with the plate.

Rita
Was he writing about Little League, like the post he quoted?
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Was he writing about Little League, like the post he quoted?
I thought he was.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Now you have me doubting myself. My book is not here - and about 1% of the games I do are LL. Can you post the rules between b and g?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 01:13pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Now you have me doubting myself. My book is not here - and about 1% of the games I do are LL. Can you post the rules between b and g?
c addresses the requirement for shoulders aligned with first and third. e is about keeping the hands separated while taking or appearing to take a signal. And f discusses the one to ten second requirement before delivering.

Like b and g, d relieves the pitcher from requiring both feet to be in contact. It states, "The pitcher shall take a position with his/her pivot foot in contact with the pitcher's plate. This contact must be on or partially on the top surface of the pitcher's plate. The non-pivot foot must be on or behind the pitcher's plate."
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
c addresses the requirement for shoulders aligned with first and third. e is about keeping the hands separated while taking or appearing to take a signal. And f discusses the one to ten second requirement before delivering.

Like b and g, d relieves the pitcher from requiring both feet to be in contact. It states, "The pitcher shall take a position with his/her pivot foot in contact with the pitcher's plate. This contact must be on or partially on the top surface of the pitcher's plate. The non-pivot foot must be on or behind the pitcher's plate."
Thank you. I missed d which makes it quite clear.

Rita