The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 10:51am
Ch1town

Stepping down at C

You're working the slot & the ball is passed to A1 directly in front of you. What are your thoughts about holding for a sec, then diving down as opposed to anticipating the Ls rotation & backing out to T?
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
You're working the slot & the ball is passed to A1 directly in front of you. What are your thoughts about holding for a sec, then diving down as opposed to anticipating the Ls rotation & backing out to T?
I would hook high and work as a mini-trail. It will allow you to help officiate secondary matchups. If you circle low, you lose periphery and will only be able to officiate 2 players. Just my humble opinion.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 11:04am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
If I haven't moved because I have a player right in front of me....

Sometimes I dive down, usually I move up. It depends on what gives me the better look at that instant, and for the next few seconds based on what I think the player will do with the ball. The odd time it also depends on who my L is. Some guys rotate a lot/quickly, others not as much.

In general, if the team passes a lot or looks to be in command of the game, I move little. If they are the type to play the scripted ball that isn't fast-paced, I cheat and lean towards going to the T because I know the L will come over anyways. I really only go further down if I think the ball will immediately be dribbled out to the point again.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My natural reaction to this situation was to "cheat" out high a little bit and anticipate the rotation. However, all the camps this summer frowned upon this practice and beat it into my head that I need to come low in this situation. It was especially of importance to the college clinicians. Just my two cents

-Josh
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 11:18am
Ch1town

Thanks! I learned this technique from an NBA clinician at one of the camps I attended this summer. His reasoning for this was:
1. the lead does not always rotate
2. diving down puts you in better posistion for rebounds
3. better view of contact on the shooter

I've been working on it since getting home & I like/dislike it for different reasons. I guess knowing your partners & teams tendencies would assist in what you should do in this situation.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks! I learned this technique from an NBA clinician at one of the camps I attended this summer. His reasoning for this was:
1. the lead does not always rotate
2. diving down puts you in better posistion for rebounds
3. better view of contact on the shooter

I've been working on it since getting home & I like/dislike it for different reasons. I guess knowing your partners & teams tendencies would assist in what you should do in this situation.
I agree on all the reasons. The biggest bonus to this is that you're closer to all the action on rebounds. Yes, you might have to bust it back on a fast break the other way but that doesn't happen all that often.

Another tip that the clinicians were stressing on us is on a fast break and you're beat (with no chance of recovering), don't try to get to the baseline and beat them down court. Follow the play and call it from behind but with an angle. Their philosophy is that if you're beat on the play and running at 100% to "catch up", you have less of a chance of seeing the foul/violation/etc then if you're hustling but behind with a good angle.

This summer was a good series of camps.

-Josh
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 11:49am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
This summer was a good series of camps.
-Josh
I concur... definitely achieved my goal of getting better!
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 12:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

You want to move to get angles. What you do not want is to be looking at the back of a player and not see the action between players. If that means moving to the upside of a play that is fine in my opinion if that gives you a better look at a play. Then once the shot goes up, you move down so that you can be closer to the action during rebounds.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 12:42pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio
I would hook high and work as a mini-trail.
I do this as well, probably 90% of the time. Once in a while, it'll be better to go low, but most of the time, I'll work high and allow myself to see the post as well, in case there's an entry pass.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 12:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I think it depends on reading the play: using what you know about the teams, their styles, and game flow. Read and react - we all get better with experience.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 01:59pm
Esteemed Participant

The key thing to understand is that it is NOT one or the other. It's not an "always hook high" or "always step down" proposition. Go where you need to go to referee that match-up and what could come next on that given possession. Sometimes it will be to step down, and sometimes it will be to hook up...find the balance in your crews/games.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Curl high - but not just because the L should already be in close-down and ready to rotate.

Going high instead of low gives you the wider, outside-in look that you want.

If you go low, you restrict your angle, IMO.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy
Curl high - but not just because the L should already be in close-down and ready to rotate.

Going high instead of low gives you the wider, outside-in look that you want.

If you go low, you restrict your angle, IMO.
I failed to mention one important thing about rotating low When you rotate low you must also take a step or two backward to improve your peripheral vision if possible.

-Josh
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Do your best to ref the defense BEFORE A1 gets the ball. That way, you will already be where you need to be before the pass arrives.

Ref where you need to be. Up or down isn't as important as being in the best spot to see the play.

Don't move to T immediately just because the L comes to your side if it is going to take you out of a good reffing position. Having two C's for a bit is not a bad thing.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 05:43pm
Ch1town

Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts.

I understand where you're coming from (anticipating the play so you're already in position before it enters your PCA, don't rotate out of a good angle, etc, etc).

I too move to improve, most of the time I used to curl up to mini-T, once & while down when play dictates. But after attending this camp & having an NBA guy stress - stepping down at C, the ball is below the FT line extended then you're a step below FT extended, 2 & 2 - I had no choice but to adhere to it... that's what the camp wanted.
I'm sure you all would've become compliant instead of defiant too.

But I've been trying it & you may have to bust it back to L if the L rotates, other than that it puts you in a great position for rebounding & backside plays if the ball is swung opposite.

Last edited by Ch1town; Thu Aug 14, 2008 at 05:46pm.