The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   College and stepping back. (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/94903-college-stepping-back.html)

Rita C Sun Apr 28, 2013 06:36pm

College and stepping back.

I had a coach tell me the other day that he sees college pitchers stepping back before the pitch.

But they are required to remain in contact with the plate, are they not? I am thinking what he's seeing is a toe pointing original contact that goes to flat foot before the pitch.

Rita

RKBUmp Sun Apr 28, 2013 06:43pm

If Im not mistaken, FED is the lone rules set that still allows the step back.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Apr 28, 2013 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C (Post 892328)
I had a coach tell me the other day that he sees college pitchers stepping back before the pitch.

But they are required to remain in contact with the plate, are they not? I am thinking what he's seeing is a toe pointing original contact that goes to flat foot before the pitch.

Rita

I agree with your assessment. See it a lot and most umpires, including myself are not going to go crazy over the pitcher just dropping the heal unless the toe is literally pulled away from the PP.

Manny A Mon Apr 29, 2013 06:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 892329)

Little League softball allows it as well.

topper Mon Apr 29, 2013 08:02am

Quote:

I am thinking what he's seeing is a toe pointing original contact that goes to flat foot before the pitch.

NCAA rules allow for loss of contact with the plate if it is a result of ^this^ motion and not a slide/step back.

HugoTafurst Mon Apr 29, 2013 01:39pm

Quote:

There was a rumor that they were going to change it this year, but it was just that... a rumor.

AtlUmpSteve Mon Apr 29, 2013 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 892393)
There was a rumor that they were going to change it this year, but it was just that... a rumor.

The two feet on pitchers plate and step back before hands together are listed in varying terms (so, assumably multiple proposals) on this year's annual NFHS poll preliminary to their annual spring Rules Committee meeting.

If nothing else, it isn't a dead topic. No way of knowing before June'ish if there is sufficient support for either or both as changes.

Remember, their philosophy is (in my words, as expressed to me):

1) We are here representing and enabling ONLY high school participation, not as the minor leagues for college softball.
2) NFHS rules allow these alternative methods of pitching; if players and coaches think it it is counterproductive to their personal goals, they don't have to pitch that way.
3) When enough of our members indicate they don't have widespread and overall credible pitchers even WITH these rules advantages, and that participation may go down even more if we remove them, then removing them is not advantageous to goal #1.
4) We do listen to our members, that is why we have a (limited participation) poll to solicit that feedback.

AtlUmpSteve Mon Apr 29, 2013 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 892371)
What about loss of contact to the side by a pitcher who starts with her foot at the side edge of the pitcher plate?

Legal under 10.4.3. Both feet must be (fully) within the 24" width only while taking the signal (10.2.1.1); it is legal to slide across just as it is forward, so long as contact is maintained, or the exceptions to contact are met.

The windup portion has no additional foot restrictions.

Once in the step/stride portion of the pitch, the foot restriction is only that some portion of the stride foot must land on or within the 24" lines.

AtlUmpSteve Mon Apr 29, 2013 02:18pm

Quote:

Rita

From NCAA 10.4.2
"A portion of the nonpivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher's plate at all times before beginning the forward step.

Note: If the pitcher has toed the pitcher's plate, and, without stepping or sliding backward, simply drops her heel that forces her to lose contact with the pitcher's plate, there is no violation.

Rita C Mon Apr 29, 2013 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 892406)
From NCAA 10.4.2
"A portion of the nonpivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher's plate at all times before beginning the forward step.

Note: If the pitcher has toed the pitcher's plate, and, without stepping or sliding backward, simply drops her heel that forces her to lose contact with the pitcher's plate, there is no violation.

Thank you. That's exactly what I need.

Rita

CecilOne Mon Apr 29, 2013 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 892404)
Legal under 10.4.3. Both feet must be (fully) within the 24" width only while taking the signal (10.2.1.1); it is legal to slide across just as it is forward, so long as contact is maintained, or the exceptions to contact are met.

The windup portion has no additional foot restrictions.

Once in the step/stride portion of the pitch, the foot restriction is only that some portion of the stride foot must land on or within the 24" lines.

Nevermind, I listened to someone who said the stride foot could be next to the plate, as long as it touched, even if that was outside the 24" width.

Scooby Fri May 03, 2013 04:15pm

Quote:

ASA Men's allow the pitcher to step back. (And just about anything else he want to do.:rolleyes:)

RKBUmp Fri May 03, 2013 04:19pm

Original post was about college ball which doesnt have mens fast pitch softball. Didnt think there was any need to specify mens vs womens rule differences.

MD Longhorn Mon May 06, 2013 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 892357)
Little League softball allows it as well.

Not completely true. Had this come up just this weekend and had to show it to other umpires in the book. They can move the foot backward but it must remain in contact with the pitching plate. This differs from NFHS where you can take a full blown step backward.

MD Longhorn Mon May 06, 2013 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 892846)
ASA Men's allow the pitcher to step back. (And just about anything else he want to do.:rolleyes:)

So does Calvinball.