The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Rolling eyes at me? Odd, considering I didn't say anything you seem to be implying and am actually arguing the reverse. (If you're rolling eyes at the coach ... no, I'm not going to my partner if asked by the OC.)

To clarify - I'm in the school that says on a close swing that may be strike three and happens to get away from the catcher, I'm asking my partner RIGHT THEN. This clears ALL of the situations up that have been discussed here. Not asking causes one team or the other to be disadvantaged - in some cases to the point that we then have to deal with the fact that the rules tell us to rectify a situation that is caused by an umpire's erroneous or changed call. If we ask for help, unprompted, right then, the players can play it out - and we NEVER have to fix a situation caused by a changed call.
No, I wasn't rolling my eyes at you. My question to you was serious, if a strike became advantageous would you let an offensive coach ask for a swing. I think I would but I've never had it happen. You say no to that above, if so what would you tell him. That only the defense can ask?
I was rolling my eyes at the coach who wanted me to call a strike on the first pitch of the at bat. Sorry it wasn't more clear.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
No, I wasn't rolling my eyes at you. My question to you was serious, if a strike became advantageous would you let an offensive coach ask for a swing. I think I would but I've never had it happen. You say no to that above, if so what would you tell him. That only the defense can ask?
I was rolling my eyes at the coach who wanted me to call a strike on the first pitch of the at bat. Sorry it wasn't more clear.
Cool.

Yes, I would say that only the defense can ask. More technically, the rules only require me to ask when the defense asks, but that's not going to come out of my mouth.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 07:13am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Yes, I would say that only the defense can ask. More technically, the rules only require me to ask when the defense asks, but that's not going to come out of my mouth.
Where is that in the rules, Mike? I pointed out in my previous post that the NCAA allows either team to ask. But unlike Batting Out of Order violations, I didn't see anything written anywhere that prohibits the offense from asking in ASA or FED.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Where is that in the rules, Mike? I pointed out in my previous post that the NCAA allows either team to ask. But unlike Batting Out of Order violations, I didn't see anything written anywhere that prohibits the offense from asking in ASA or FED.
Like I said ... the rule doesn't say that the offense can't ask. It does say that we have to honor a request from the defense. I see no place that tells me we must (or should, or even might) honor it from the offense. Honestly, though - in 22 years I've not ever had the offense make such a request. When it happens (which I doubt, since I've stated that I would have already asked in any situation where it might benefit the offense), I won't be honoring that request.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

The only time I have ever had a request from the offense was when I, as PU, determined that the check swing was indeed a swing and rung up the strike.

The offensive coach asked me to check with my partner...needless to say, I refused.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:20am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Cool.

Actually only NCAA requires you to ask for help on an check swing appeal.

ASA and Fed do not require it but do suggest it. Sorry using last years books as my current ones are with me. I do not believe their is any changes.

ASA Rule Supplement #10 the Umpire should only ask for help if their is doubt in their mind as whether or not they swung.

Fed 10-1-4 The Umpire making the decision may ask another umpire for information before making the final decision.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
Actually only NCAA requires you to ask for help on an check swing appeal.

ASA and Fed do not require it but do suggest it. Sorry using last years books as my current ones are with me. I do not believe their is any changes.

ASA Rule Supplement #10 the Umpire should only ask for help if their is doubt in their mind as whether or not they swung.

Fed 10-1-4 The Umpire making the decision may ask another umpire for information before making the final decision.
True. My bad.

West Houston Mike