View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 06:38am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
A couple of things here that might need some clarification:
1) I'm assuming you meant the base umpire says "Yes!"
2) I don't understand your reference to 10.c.3. There is no such casebook reference

Now, 10-2-3m might be what you're referring to. This is a reversed decision that clearly put the offense at a disadvantage. I believe this is a good situation to use 10-2-3m and give the BR 1st if at all possible. (i.e.: the ball went all the way to the backstop and it took F2 some time to retrieve the ball.)

My preferred mechanic on this sort of play is to immediately (even before I'm asked) go to the BU on a potential D3K situation where the ball gets away from the catcher. This way, neither the offense and the defense are disadvantaged.
Agreed with the outcome. In fact, this is almost the exact same case play in the NFHS case book under 10.2.3.G.

But I do have a question regarding your preferred mechanic. Is that an approved mechanic for all softball orgs? I know that going to a partner without the defense asking is taught in baseball.

Another baseball mechanic (mentioned in the MLB Umpire Manual) is for the base umpire to go ahead and call that an batter offered at the pitch, even if the plate umpire doesn't go to him. I've never heard that taught in softball clinics.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker