View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I'll be honest. I don't know if it is, or not. I'm a baseball guy, as well and I acknowledge I'm borrowing this from baseball.

What makes sense to me is not allow the defense to get a "cheap out" by tracking down the ball, having the catcher return to the plate near the batter, then ask for an appeal so she can make the easy tag out if it turns out to be a DK3.

While we have the right to rectify a situation where an overturned call puts a team at a distinct disadvantage, that doesn't mean you're not going to wind up with a very ugly situation if you have to start placing runners on a late check with your partner. Why not avoid it and have this situation played under a more organic circumstance by asking for help right away?

The only other "fair" thing to do here might be to disallow the "appeal". However, some codes do not allow you to not go for help.
Who says it is a cheap out? Did the defense not offer the batter the opportunity to put the ball in play? In some circumstances, does the batter not attempt and fail to put the ball into play?

While people want to hold the defense accountable here, it is the batter who placed herself in jeopardy, no one else. If there is anything cheap here, it would be awarding a runner to a team that did nothing to deserve such an award.