The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

BOO question- sorry if this is a repeat

This question was asked elsewhere but I did not see an answer. WHO starts the next inning ??? Alice or Fred
Rule change for ASA.

Rule 7 Section 2D [2]: If batting out of order is discovered after the incorrect batter has completed a turn at bat:
a. The improper batter’s time at bat is negated.
b. The player who should have batted is out.
c. Any advancement or score of a runner as a result of the improper batter is negated. Runners not called out must return to the last base occupied at the time of the pitch. Any runner, who is called out prior to the discovery of the infraction, remains out
d. The next batter is the player whose name follows that of the player called out for failing to bat.
EXCEPTION: (Co-ed Only) If the incorrect batter is called out as a result of their time at bat, and is scheduled to be the proper batter, skip that player and the next person in the line-up will be the batter.
Comment: Rewords the rule so if the Batter-Runner is called out that out applies to the batter who should have batted. All outs made by runners are still out. If the incorrect batter makes an out and is the next legal batter they simply bat again. The old rule of all outs stand including the batter runner and skipping the batter if they make an out and they are the next legal batter, still applies to the game of Co-ed.

If your line up is as follows:
1: John
2: Mary
3: Mike
4: Alice
5: Fred
6: Ann

Mary bats and gets to 1st base.
Mike is due up to bat but Alice gets up and hits into a double play.
The defence appeal batting out of order
Mary is still out for the double play. Alice is out but the out is recorded as being Mike.

The Co-ed exception says that if the incorrect batter is called out as a result of their time at bat and is scheduled to be the next batter they are skipped and the next batter takes up the bat.

So in my example Mary is out in the double play, Alice is out in the double play and then Mike is out for the batting out of order. End of the half and Fred is the batter due up????????

Am I getting this wrong?
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNDALKCHOPPER View Post
This question was asked elsewhere but I did not see an answer. WHO starts the next inning ??? Alice or Fred
Rule change for ASA.

Rule 7 Section 2D [2]: If batting out of order is discovered after the incorrect batter has completed a turn at bat:
a. The improper batter’s time at bat is negated.
b. The player who should have batted is out.
c. Any advancement or score of a runner as a result of the improper batter is negated. Runners not called out must return to the last base occupied at the time of the pitch. Any runner, who is called out prior to the discovery of the infraction, remains out
d. The next batter is the player whose name follows that of the player called out for failing to bat.
EXCEPTION: (Co-ed Only) If the incorrect batter is called out as a result of their time at bat, and is scheduled to be the proper batter, skip that player and the next person in the line-up will be the batter.
Comment: Rewords the rule so if the Batter-Runner is called out that out applies to the batter who should have batted. All outs made by runners are still out. If the incorrect batter makes an out and is the next legal batter they simply bat again. The old rule of all outs stand including the batter runner and skipping the batter if they make an out and they are the next legal batter, still applies to the game of Co-ed.

If your line up is as follows:
1: John
2: Mary
3: Mike
4: Alice
5: Fred
6: Ann

Mary bats and gets to 1st base.
Mike is due up to bat but Alice gets up and hits into a double play.
The defence appeal batting out of order
Mary is still out for the double play. Alice is out but the out is recorded as being Mike.

The Co-ed exception says that if the incorrect batter is called out as a result of their time at bat and is scheduled to be the next batter they are skipped and the next batter takes up the bat.

So in my example Mary is out in the double play, Alice is out in the double play and then Mike is out for the batting out of order. End of the half and Fred is the batter due up????????

Am I getting this wrong?
Seems like Fred is it. Why have such a convoluted exception though?
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

For the OP...

- Mary is out. Any outs made by runners already on base during the improper batter's time at bat stand.

- Alice's time at bat is negated. She's not out. It's just like she never batted.

- Mike (the batter who should have batted) is out on the appeal.

Two outs. Fred is the next batter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Why have such a convoluted exception though?
Because co-ed batting orders are by their nature convoluted.

Since we're talking co-ed here, the goal is to maintain the alternating male-female batting order. If Alice were to bat again, the rules would be forcing two same-sex batters to follow each other, which is not in the spirit of co-ed play.

The perceived advantge is that you could potentially have two male batters back-to-back, an advantage that is not intended by the rules.

Last edited by BretMan; Sat Mar 09, 2013 at 06:43pm.
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
For the OP...

- Mary is out. Any outs made by runners already on base during the improper batter's time at bat stand.

- Alice's time at bat is negated. She's not out. It's just like she never batted.

Because co-ed batting orders are by their nature convoluted.

Since we're talking co-ed here, the goal is to maintain the alternating male-female batting order. If Alice were to bat again, the rules would be forcing two same-sex batters to follow each other, which is not in the spirit of co-ed play.

The perceived advantge is that you could potentially have two male batters back-to-back, an advantage that is not intended by the rules.
Perceived, yes. Real, no.
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think this is correct.

Quote:
In Co-Ed in order to maintain the male/female batting order the batter who batted out of order is not negated. That out stands.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
In Co-Ed in order to maintain the male/female batting order the batter who batted out of order is not negated. That out stands.
What Bret said is right. Read the rule again, a step at a time.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My apologies if I inadvertantly gave the wrong answer. I was thinking that back when the new rules were announced last year, there was a discussion that the "comment" following the rule change was not accurate and would be amended.

Good thing I don't do co-ed slow pitch!

Now I have to wonder what the actual printed rule will look like (won't have my rule book for a couple of weeks). If it appears exactly as shown above, there's nothing in the rule that specifically says the out is enforced in co-ed.

The "comments" explaining the rule change generally don't get included with the published rule. Minus the comment, for co-ed the rule only says, "Negate the out and skip the batter". It doesn't say, "Enforce the out and skip the batter".
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Here is the new rule with comments:

Quote:
My apologies if I inadvertantly gave the wrong answer. I was thinking that back when the new rules were announced last year, there was a discussion that the "comment" following the rule change was not accurate and would be amended.

Good thing I don't do co-ed slow pitch!

Now I have to wonder what the actual printed rule will look like (won't have my rule book for a couple of weeks). If it appears exactly as shown above, there's nothing in the rule that specifically says the out is enforced in co-ed.

The "comments" explaining the rule change generally don't get included with the published rule. Minus the comment, for co-ed the rule only says, "Negate the out and skip the batter". It doesn't say, "Enforce the out and skip the batter".
a. The improper batter’s time at bat is negated. b. The player who should have batted is out.
Comment: Rewords the rule so if the Batter-Runner is called out that out applies to the batter who should have batted. All outs made by runners are still out. If the incorrect batter makes and out and is the next legal batter they simply bat again. The old rule of all out stands including the batter runner and skipping the batter if they make an out and they are the next legal batter, still applies to the game of Co-ed.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Exactly... and Bret said:

All of this is correct. Which part do you think is not correct? (Note: If this was not a co-ed game, ALICE would be the next batter.)

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Here is the new rule with comments...

a. The improper batter’s time at bat is negated. b. The player who should have batted is out.
Comment: Rewords the rule so if the Batter-Runner is called out that out applies to the batter who should have batted. All outs made by runners are still out. If the incorrect batter makes and out and is the next legal batter they simply bat again. The old rule of all out stands including the batter runner and skipping the batter if they make an out and they are the next legal batter, still applies to the game of Co-ed.
Yes, I read the same thing above and it is also exactly the same thing they published when the rule changes were announced last year.

My last point was that the only thing there saying to enforce the out (made by the improper batter-runner) in co-ed is the "comment" at the end.

The "comments" explaining rule changes usually are not printed next to the rule in the rule book. If the "comment" is not printed next to the rule, then the rule itself does not say to enforce the out (made by the improper batter-runner) in co-ed.

Okay...who has their 2013 rule book?

Last edited by BretMan; Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 09:17am.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, I read the same thing above and it is also exactly the same thing they published when the rule changes were announced last year.

My last point was that the only thing there saying to enforce the out (made by the improper batter-runner) in co-ed is the "comment" at the end.

The "comments" explaining rule changes usually are not printed next to the rule in the rule book. If the "comment" is not printed next to the rule, then the rule itself does not say to enforce the out (made by the improper batter-runner) in co-ed.

Okay...who has their 2013 rule book?
Are you two trolling me?

Yes it does... " b. The player who should have batted is out."

Mary is out. Mike is out. Alice is skipped. Fred is up.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

This part is not correct:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

- Alice's time at bat is negated.
Alice's time at bat is NOT negated.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you two trolling me?
No, but this starting to sound like an Abbott and Costello routine...

Quote:
Yes it does... " b. The player who should have batted is out."
MD, we aren't disputing anything about "the player who should have batted". On a BOO appeal, that player is always out, be it co-ed, men's, women's, slow pitch fastpitch, whatever.

We are talking about the improper batter. The batter who actually batted when she wasn't supposed to, not the one who should have batted.

Read the last sentence of the "comment" that follows the new rule.

That sentence states that, in co-ed play, an out made by the improper batter stands. This is contrary to all other divisions of play, where (with the 2013 rule change) an out made by an improper batter is negated.

Last edited by BretMan; Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 10:09am.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Alice's time at bat is NOT negated.
Um... OK, why do you think that? Alice's time at bat is definitely negated (although the out on Mary is not). The comment doesn't change that. The comment simply means that she is skipped in the order and Fred bats next.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That sentence states that, in co-ed play, an out made by the improper batter stands. This is contrary to all other divisions of play, where (with the 2013 rule change) an out made by an improper batter is negated.
No sirs. It does NOT say that. Read it again.

"If the incorrect batter is called out as a result of their time at bat, and is scheduled to be the proper batter, skip that player and the next person in the line-up will be the batter. "

Skip that player. Not "disregard the entirety of the rest of the rule and do something different from every other code." Just SKIP. THAT. PLAYER.

The exception ONLY changes who the batter would be. That's all.

West Houston Mike