The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I recently started playing softball, after many many years of playing baseball growing up. I had a rather interesting play arise last night and was wondering if the umpire made the right call. I'm going to look bad here but i wanted other umpires opinions on the call...not me .

There was a runner on 1st, 1 out. I was playing short, a batted ground ball was hit to our F4...I moved in position for a double play. I catch the ball slide across the rear of the base and drop my arm in typical shortstop fashion. The runner did not slide or attempt to get of the way. I make a poor throw but luckily the BR did not advance. My poor throw was because i had to short arm it so i didn't hit the runner on my follow through.

I calmly talked to the BU about the call, asking why it wasn't interference. He said there was no rule for him to slide he was just trying to get to second base. Now all my years playing baseball, we were taught to take the fielder out as a runner, but you did that sliding and doing everything you could while sliding into the base. As a fielder i was taught to drop my arm down to get that runner out of the way to make your throw.

Well this is a pretty low end league, i'm kind of shocked at the poor play, the runner probably didn't know any better. I told the umpire the next time it happened i was going to bury the ball in the runners face.

Well it happened again and I buried the ball in the runners nose and messed him up pretty good. I got ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct. I argued for a minute then left because i knew i had no leg to stand on, the call was made. My throw that hit the runner in the face would have gotten to first base, i made sure of that. I told the bloody and rather upset runner that sliding is a good idea...for both the runner and the fielder. I got heckled off the field looking like some bully when i was just playing hard ball like i was taught.

So my question is, do runners have to slide on a play that they can interfere with if they don't? IF not then why is it the fielders responsibilty to get out of the way to make a throw...I think it's ridiculous i got ejected...i think the umpire was showing me up because i told him he was wrong earlier.
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Zoomie,
Softball & baseball are two very different games that have some parts that look similar. When you told the BU what you'd do the next time, that pretty much tied his hands as to what he had to do.

In softball, a retired runner is not expected or required to disappear in this play. There will not be an interference call unless this retired runner does something intentionally to interfere. We do not have a "force play slide rule" and never require that a runner slide - although the runner is required to slide or avoid if possible a collision.

Steve M
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

wow...softball really is a different game. This is really going to have to take some getting used to. How can a shortstop turn a double play, all your motion and movement goes over the bag right at the runner....It's such a fundamental thing for me to drop down, its like having to relearn the position again.

I guess i won't be burying any balls in peoples faces anymore.

So lets say i make an honest attempt at a double play with a 300 pounder lumbering down the base path...i make a sidearm throw around him and my arm hits the runner and i hurt my arm...where's the justification for my safety trying to make a play?

Oh well, I'm still using my little 11" baseball mitt, i gotta get something else. That lil thing is pretty tough witht hat big ball.

Feel kind of bad about breaking a guys nose...it would have never hit him though if he would have slid...or hell duck out of the way.
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to WillyS Send a message via Yahoo to WillyS
Why is that not interference?
Zoomie, I would have done the same thing. Once the runner is put out, he needs to vacate the base path to allow you to continue your play. He can slide or veer out of the way, anything else is INTERFERENCE.
I play and Umpire ASA Slowpitch. As the BU, I would have ruled interference. If the runner alters your throw, it's interference. Interference can occur a number of ways(Verbal, physical, or just being stupid), doesn't always have to be intentional.

IMHO, your BU blew it.
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I played in a tournament a few years ago where a runner was killed by being hit in the face in the same scenario you described. F4 was taking the throw SS, automatically turned and fired to 1st. Runner was still upright, took the ball in the face. He was placed on life support for a few days before he died. F4 did not throw at him intentionally, just turned and fired. The runner left a wife and 2 young kids. Blame was never placed on F4 by anyone. It was something that just happened in a bang-bang play. F4, by his choice, did not play the rest of the tournament.
In your case though, you intentionally threw at someones face. You should feel lucky you were only thrown out for that game. If it was my league, you would never play there again. You said yourself, it is a low end league. Sounds to me like you joined the wrong league.
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WillyS
Why is that not interference?
Zoomie, I would have done the same thing. Once the runner is put out, he needs to vacate the base path to allow you to continue your play. He can slide or veer out of the way, anything else is INTERFERENCE.
I play and Umpire ASA Slowpitch. As the BU, I would have ruled interference. If the runner alters your throw, it's interference. Interference can occur a number of ways(Verbal, physical, or just being stupid), doesn't always have to be intentional.

IMHO, your BU blew it.
Speaking ASA

And you would also be wrong. There is NO requirement for a runner to slide or get out of the way of a fielder making a throw. And it DOES need to be intentional when involving a thrown ball. I suggest you check ASA 8.7.J.4.

BTW, Zoomie, at the lower levels, coaches have been ejected for instructing players to throw at runner without it even happening.

You are actually lucky you were not arrested. The fact that you stated your intention to commit an act you knew would cause bodily harm and then followed through on the threat. If some of us had been on that field, we probably would have offered the player our card and told him to have his lawyer call us for the trial.

I understand you didn't know better, but you should be aware of the depth of the water before diving into any pool. The other players assume their opponents know how to play the game, it's not up to them or the umpires to give newcomers explicit instructions.

Good luck in the future. Remember, everyone needs to get up and go to work or school the next day, we're not making a living doing this.

Baseball, softball. Different game, different rules, different philosophies. (you know, I'm getting pretty good at this one)

Old Thu May 29, 2003, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Many softball players these days do not have much baseball experience and haven't learned the fine points and the "discipline" through thousands of hours of sandlot and other play. If you've played high-level baseball, you have to recognize this in your opponents (and teammates). For example, you can't simply bowl over any fielder who happens to be in your way.

I umpire a modified-pitch league in which the players range from former professional baseball players to Sunday picnic types. Do the former pros crash the catcher when he stands in the baseline and the ball isn't anywhere near? No.

A friend of mine still, 25 years later, has an obviously smashed eye from a throw from another friend of mine. Both were fine players. In fact, it was the same play described in this thread (unintentional on both their parts). The runner slid but didn't get far enough quite in time.
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

there was more to it than what i have said, some heated words between more than just myself and the opposing team. There were some other questionable acts by the other team, that i thought were pretty low. That's not the issue at hand though.

It was a long game, jawing and talking was ongoing. I'm not justifying what i did, i take full responsibilty, but given the same situation i'd be willing to bet one of there players would have done the same thing if not more. I didn't throw at him intentionally, i made a clear motion straight toward him and wanted to zing it by his head. He flinched...the wrong direction and it ended up catching his nose. For his sake it didn't hit him straight on...a glancing shot that careened to the pitcher. In any case, it hurt. They all wanted to beat my butt after the game, threats and stuff. I left it on the field where it belongs...just the way i was taught.

If i got kicked out of the league, suits me fine, so far i'm the best player we've come across yet. I've had guys from the other leagues(i guess the better divisions..i'm still new to this softball thing) come ask me to play for them. I haven't picked up a glove in about 4 years and am pretty rusty i think but apparently i misjudged the level of play. Some of these guys are really terrible.

I'm just gonna "enjoy" it and make my plays, if i can't turn a DP because of an obnoxious fool then what can i do, the rules seem to be clear (from what a couple of officials have referenced) that the fielder gets the short end of the stick here. Its just irritating, i like playing hard, i like playing rough, try and take me out you're supposed too. But don't just stand in the way like a tree, thats just ignorant, and in my opinion unsportsmanlike.

I play hockey recreationally as well, and well i'm pretty aggressive there too. I get in fights and play rough...but it's almost excepted that it stays on the ice, when the game's over i'll go BS with the other team and raz them...its all good fun. That other softball team took it too far and really got out of hand. I left it on the field, they didn't, too bad more people can't do that.

Old Thu May 29, 2003, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

hey guys...what about fast pitch? is the rule the same there as well? And mod- pitch...what is that? I'm still kind of new at this softball thing. I miss baseball, it's a lot more familiar to me.

Oh and blue, i was asked to join the team. I know nothing about softball (its pretty clear now huh), i told the coach that i was pretty decent and could play good middle infield. He said he'd like me to come out. So i asked the wife, she said ok. If i would have known that softball was divided into divisions, and good players that play "good softball" aren't wanted in the lower divisions i would have declined the invite. I don't wanna leave my team hanging, i guess i'll just tone it down and play through it.

Now i'm sure the umpire has me marked and no calls will be coming my way any time soon. That's ok, they can only turn a table so far against you, especially in slow pitch, they can't take the bat out of your hands like baseball.
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Softball is a great game, but it is not baseball, hockey, rugby, football, etc. If you are looking for a rough-and-tumble game, try one of those.

OTOH, if you can adjust your approach just a bit to drop the "take me out if you can, I'll take you out if I can, all's fair" that you learned in hockey and to some extent baseball, you can have a great time with this game.
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Dakota,

Suggestion taken, i'll lower my tone a little.

From what i've seen so far softball is a very defensive minded game. Balls are hit into play many more times over than a baseball. So fielding and defense are crucial to winning. IF you can get good outs quick and stay in the batter box hittin the ball you're going to win ballgames.

So why have a rule that favors the hitters?...its already heavily skewed to there favor by chucking a HUGE ball slow as christmas at them. Our poor thirdbaseman is a sitting duck out there, a new meaning to the "hot corner".
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zoomie
Dakota,

Suggestion taken, i'll lower my tone a little.

From what i've seen so far softball is a very defensive minded game. Balls are hit into play many more times over than a baseball. So fielding and defense are crucial to winning. IF you can get good outs quick and stay in the batter box hittin the ball you're going to win ballgames.

So why have a rule that favors the hitters?...its already heavily skewed to there favor by chucking a HUGE ball slow as christmas at them. Our poor thirdbaseman is a sitting duck out there, a new meaning to the "hot corner".
What rules favor the hitters other than the equipment? BTW, the rules for ALL ASA ball are the same in this situation.

My problem here is that you may not have understood that softball is a recreational sport. There is a lot of give and take in softball, like not hitting up the middle.

But you wonder how the plays are made. It's simple, players practice. There is nothing you've asked here that is not routinely done in softball games from girls 12 years old to the seniors, some over 70.

Maybe to appreciate the game a bit more, you might need to go watch some good ball. Maybe some JO travel ball or some Major or A slow pitch, could give you a little more insight to the game.

Old Thu May 29, 2003, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lildani14 Send a message via MSN to lildani14
hey zoomie, if slow-pitch is too slow, try to find a fast-pitch league. you'll get high competitiveness (nice word, i know). the ball may be bigger but they sure don't go as far or as hard as a baseball does. just a totally different sport, you can't really compare them, besides the basic touch all the bases : score a run.

sorry to sound judgemental, but you're kinda attacking my game, and that drives me crazy. i get that enough from the boys in my class. i love it when they actually step on the field, and realize that softball is a game.
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

whoa I'm not attacking anything. I think it's hard as hell to hit the ball. I get very impatient and basically am a slap hitter now. I was a power hitter in baseball, because i could make good contact and well the speed of the pitch with the hard ball makes it go.

Softball takes strength also, I don't have the muscles to jack it over the fence so i resort to basehitting. I watched a guy on the other team rip 3 over the fence, and i mean OVER the fence. He cleared the scoreboard!

To be honest I came here to clarify my question on the runners. I think its wrong and don't agree with it, but hey what i think is irrelavent. I didn't come here to bash softball, just wanted an answer and for the most part i got it. thanks guys

IRISHMAFIA,

The rule of the runner getting out of the way is what i'm questioning. The play that i got upset about last night was when i went to throw the ball, there runner pulled up and stopped right in the baseline, about 3 feet from me. If I were to follow through my motion i would have surely collided with him, atleast my arm or hand. He proceeded to nice and easy glide through the base and make a u turn.

That is an unsafe practice that i find unacceptable, its not right, its not sportsmanlike, its against everything i was ever taught. Maybe i don't take this lightly because i play middle infield and have dealt with this situation for years.

And this players practicing??? Are you saying I don't practice? I've played hardball for twenty years, i played in college for 2 years...i've done my share of practicing.
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zoomie

IRISHMAFIA,

The rule of the runner getting out of the way is what i'm questioning. The play that i got upset about last night was when i went to throw the ball, there runner pulled up and stopped right in the baseline, about 3 feet from me. If I were to follow through my motion i would have surely collided with him, atleast my arm or hand. He proceeded to nice and easy glide through the base and make a u turn.
The runner is permitted to be there. He has as much right to be there as you do to make a play. You must agree that it is the runner's responsibility to make every effort to attain the base to which he is advancing. Would you stop running just because you saw the SS heading toward the bag to put you out? That said, you cannot expect an advancing runner to simply vanish into thin air the moment he is retired. You see him, you know he is there or you wouldn't be making the play. You adjust. If you are approaching a green light and a car is stopped in front of you in your lane, do you just plow into it because you don't believe they should be there? No, you go around.

Quote:
That is an unsafe practice that i find unacceptable, its not right, its not sportsmanlike, its against everything i was ever taught. Maybe i don't take this lightly because i play middle infield and have dealt with this situation for years.
What makes you so arrogant to think that just because you have learned one way, that is the correct way and the rest of the world is wrong? You make a threat to plant a ball in a player's face and then proceed to do so, then you call the player who is doing exactly what every runner has been taught to do "unsportsmanlike"? Until you learn the game of softball, you don't know what sportsmanship is. This is a game where you do not intentionally throw at runners. It is a game in which you are ejected for running into a defender. It is a game that most players understand is still a game and only part of their lives, not the life itself.

[/quote]And this players practicing??? Are you saying I don't practice? I've played hardball for twenty years, i played in college for 2 years...i've done my share of practicing. [/QUOTE]

No, you've been practicing to play BASEBALL and that doesn't mean squat if you are not practicing to play the game correctly.

What I was referring to was if you are so good and so right and practice so much, why is it you are whining about not being able to execute a play which thousands of softball players, male and female, from the ages of 11 through 70 execute on a daily basis without hitting a runner with the ball? Are you saying that your play is not up to snuff with that of a 12 year old school girl? I will say it again. Different game, different rules, different philosophies.

The other players are not out of sync, you are and you need to adjust. BTW, just because you move to a team with better players, everything that has been state by the posters throughout this thread will still apply. It is the game that is different, not the players.