The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
1) If I believed the first threat, you probably would have been ejected then and never had the chance to be violent and get arrested.

2) Either change your attitude or change your sport.
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

I don't know - it sounds like Zoomie stepped right out of one of Ed's AA stories

Zoomie - step back and re-read your posts. Maybe you'll see how bad they sound. You're the best thing the league has seen??? I wonder if the guy with the broken nose feels the same way? Think about it - he came to the game the other night for a little fun, maybe grab a few beers after the game. He stops short to avoid a collision and what's his reward??? I've gotta tell ya - if that was me and I heard your earlier comment, I'd be looking for a lawyer.

My daughter plays fastpitch at a very competitive level, and if she ever took the field with your attitude - I don't know who would kick her in the a$$ first - me or her coaches.

-Kono
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

I can tell you he didn't stop short because of a collision, he stopped short because he was out by a mile, and then pulled up without getting out of my way. He would have smirked about it had i made a poor throw. Turns out it hit him instead.

This isn't a typical beer swilling lets go have fun league. These guys were pompous pricks. I'm dropping this thread, its over nothing can be done about it now. Looks lik this is getting touchy, nowing my luck i'll get banned for ticking off the wrong "veteran" here. I'll stick to reading the posts instead of asking anything, I'll let you guys do the bickering, i'm done with this.
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zoomie
He would have smirked about it had i made a poor throw. Turns out it hit him instead.
So what if he smirked? If you had adjusted your position and nailed the double play, then you could have smirked. Besides, it didn't "turn out" to hit him; by your own admission, it was intentional.

Quote:
I'll let you guys do the bickering, i'm done with this.
I haven't noticed any bickering. Anyone else notice any bickering?
Lecturing, sure.
Pontificating, maybe.
A little condescension.
But no bickering.
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:

Lecturing, sure.
Pontificating, maybe.
A little condescension.
But no bickering.
That's funny - thanx for the laugh!!!
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Lecturing, sure.
Pontificating, maybe.
A little condescension.
But no bickering.
Hey!!! I resemble those remarks!!!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
He would have smirked about it had i made a poor throw. Turns out it hit him instead.
So what if he smirked? If you had adjusted your position and nailed the double play, then you could have smirked. Besides, it didn't "turn out" to hit him; by your own admission, it was intentional.

Quote:
I'll let you guys do the bickering, i'm done with this.
Lecturing, sure.
Pontificating, maybe.
A little condescension.
But no bickering.
They only bickering has come from the person asking the question who acknowledging noted that the original post would make him look bad.

Well, I guess he was right about one thing.

Old Fri May 30, 2003, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

I can take the heat, i was wrong i admitted it, i just asked for your guys opinions on the call and what the proper ruling is. I didn't want this to go into how an awful player i am, i should be arrested, jailed for life, beaten with a cane....etc.

I think you guys are reading a lot more into this. It just one play of many that were "controversial" and the ONLY one that i took part in. I didn't argue with the ump...for very long. The first time i CALMY talked to him...just asking him why the guy didn't have to slide. I said well what happens if the next time it hits the guy in the face? I'll admit i was implying i was going to do it. The ump said there was no need for that. I said ok and walked away.

When the guy got hit he tossed me and my only retort was why didn't the guy slide, duck, hell attempt to move. The ump just told me to leave and i jogged off the field. My teammates were pissed, but i just blew it off. There was one out remaining, we won by 6 runs.

I left to taunts, death threats, you should have seen my wife, they had her balling. And you guys are treating me like the villian here? What about the elbows they threw around at the play at the plate...they were the bullies...think of my gesture as david and goliath i got my jab in when i did because they had 10 in on us before me.

Anyways guys, i'll take note that i have to run 3 steps out of the way because the runner is to clean to dirty his uniform any. Ok, Ok, that was cheap. I'll rail myself for that one. Take it easy fellas.

Old Fri May 30, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
1) If I believed the first threat, you probably would have been ejected then and never had the chance to be violent and get arrested.

2) Either change your attitude or change your sport.
Maybe planet!, but don't change your story in midstream. Don't stop posting, because you keep us aware of what's wrong with the world. Did someone say he wasn't whining?

Retaliation and deliberate throws at anyone have no place in sports, even MLB or contact sports.

As to "just one play of many that were "controversial" and the ONLY one that i took part in"; that's like being in the mob and saying this was the only murder I did.
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

what does planet mean? oh ok after looking at it for a minute i see now. man you guys are harsh. i'm outta here.

[Edited by zoomie on May 30th, 2003 at 02:19 PM]
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to hukonrt Send a message via Yahoo to hukonrt
Congratulations! Posting this thread took lots of guts. Often times we have all done something in haste which we have lived to regret. I shall cast no stones. Try to put it behind you. Sounds as if you are passionate about the sport, play hard and try to have fun.

First seasons can be pretty tough, as well as eye-opening. Remember if you will any first season in the sports you have mentioned. You weren't always the best player out there, nor will you ever be. Be patient with yourself and your teammates. By your own admission there is much room for improvement. You might be a hotshot SS but hitting that fat ball with a skinny bat can be a bit tricky. Even the best players continually hone that skill.

In sports, as in life, you reap what you sow, be it skill, or good sportsmanship. Best of luck. Hang in there.
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 07:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Let's not knock baseball needlessly....

I've made a serious effort to try to understand softball a bit better this season. I made myself available to work HS softball (a 1-year experiment in which I worked 3 varsity SB games), so I've been lurking here for quite some time. Some comments on this thread from a baseball umpire who calls adult recreation baseball (MSBL):

(1) We have non-collision rules. We call it the go-to-work-on-Monday rule. We don't tolerate guys like the original poster acting like this -- this is not the 1970 AllStar game and our players aren't named Fosse or Rose.

(2) Anyone who said something like the original poster did risks ejection, just for saying what he said. I will not allow a situation escalate into a potential beanball war so a SS can act macho. He will at least get some comment from me, warning of ejection if the play happens again.

(3) Adults are not as athletic as the youngsters at times. Throw around the friggin runner. Any semi-talented fielder would've come through the base and made the play anyway.

Baseball is a different sport, but I don't think it is as different as some of you think. It takes hard work to umpire both sports well and constant study to know the rule sets and mechanics inside and out. At high levels, both are a joy to work. At low levels, both can be quite painful at times.

At the recreation level, let's just have a little fun and not get anyone hurt or bloodied.

Rich
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Rich,

As you know, I'm a refugee from baseball. That was my choice and I have no problem with those who stay with it.

I don't think anyone was knocking baseball, just noting that they are different games and they do have different rules. Obviously, Zoomie doesn't think it's the same game and referred to the other players as unsportsmanlike. A tough accusation to buy from a kid who thinks throwing a ball at a runner is permissible.

Depending on the level of ball, different philosophies certainly exist.

The point most of us were making was that this young man jumped into a game he had not yet learned to play, assuming that everything he knew in baseball applied to softball. Obviously, it doesn't. Many of us grew up the same way, some considering softball a game for those who aren't good enough for baseball.

The rules were explained to him and the reasoning behind the rules. It was explained why the other players reacted the way they did and how some of us would have handled the situation given the fact he wasn't smart enough to keep his thoughts to himself. And, in turn, acting on that threat.

Many of us have probably heard this from players before. When I do (a couple of dozen times in the past decade), I simply tell that player, loud enough for the next closest player to hear, that if he follows through, he will be ejected and I will offer a statement to the police if it goes that far.

Was anyone overly harsh on this young man? Somewhat, but I think that was more to demonstrate the severity of his actions and attempt to defend them by using his baseball experience.

If you noticed, many urged him to learn more about the game and understand the differences.