View Single Post
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I recently started playing softball, after many many years of playing baseball growing up. I had a rather interesting play arise last night and was wondering if the umpire made the right call. I'm going to look bad here but i wanted other umpires opinions on the call...not me .

There was a runner on 1st, 1 out. I was playing short, a batted ground ball was hit to our F4...I moved in position for a double play. I catch the ball slide across the rear of the base and drop my arm in typical shortstop fashion. The runner did not slide or attempt to get of the way. I make a poor throw but luckily the BR did not advance. My poor throw was because i had to short arm it so i didn't hit the runner on my follow through.

I calmly talked to the BU about the call, asking why it wasn't interference. He said there was no rule for him to slide he was just trying to get to second base. Now all my years playing baseball, we were taught to take the fielder out as a runner, but you did that sliding and doing everything you could while sliding into the base. As a fielder i was taught to drop my arm down to get that runner out of the way to make your throw.

Well this is a pretty low end league, i'm kind of shocked at the poor play, the runner probably didn't know any better. I told the umpire the next time it happened i was going to bury the ball in the runners face.

Well it happened again and I buried the ball in the runners nose and messed him up pretty good. I got ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct. I argued for a minute then left because i knew i had no leg to stand on, the call was made. My throw that hit the runner in the face would have gotten to first base, i made sure of that. I told the bloody and rather upset runner that sliding is a good idea...for both the runner and the fielder. I got heckled off the field looking like some bully when i was just playing hard ball like i was taught.

So my question is, do runners have to slide on a play that they can interfere with if they don't? IF not then why is it the fielders responsibilty to get out of the way to make a throw...I think it's ridiculous i got ejected...i think the umpire was showing me up because i told him he was wrong earlier.