View Single Post
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WillyS
Why is that not interference?
Zoomie, I would have done the same thing. Once the runner is put out, he needs to vacate the base path to allow you to continue your play. He can slide or veer out of the way, anything else is INTERFERENCE.
I play and Umpire ASA Slowpitch. As the BU, I would have ruled interference. If the runner alters your throw, it's interference. Interference can occur a number of ways(Verbal, physical, or just being stupid), doesn't always have to be intentional.

IMHO, your BU blew it.
Speaking ASA

And you would also be wrong. There is NO requirement for a runner to slide or get out of the way of a fielder making a throw. And it DOES need to be intentional when involving a thrown ball. I suggest you check ASA 8.7.J.4.

BTW, Zoomie, at the lower levels, coaches have been ejected for instructing players to throw at runner without it even happening.

You are actually lucky you were not arrested. The fact that you stated your intention to commit an act you knew would cause bodily harm and then followed through on the threat. If some of us had been on that field, we probably would have offered the player our card and told him to have his lawyer call us for the trial.

I understand you didn't know better, but you should be aware of the depth of the water before diving into any pool. The other players assume their opponents know how to play the game, it's not up to them or the umpires to give newcomers explicit instructions.

Good luck in the future. Remember, everyone needs to get up and go to work or school the next day, we're not making a living doing this.

Baseball, softball. Different game, different rules, different philosophies. (you know, I'm getting pretty good at this one)