View Single Post
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zoomie

IRISHMAFIA,

The rule of the runner getting out of the way is what i'm questioning. The play that i got upset about last night was when i went to throw the ball, there runner pulled up and stopped right in the baseline, about 3 feet from me. If I were to follow through my motion i would have surely collided with him, atleast my arm or hand. He proceeded to nice and easy glide through the base and make a u turn.
The runner is permitted to be there. He has as much right to be there as you do to make a play. You must agree that it is the runner's responsibility to make every effort to attain the base to which he is advancing. Would you stop running just because you saw the SS heading toward the bag to put you out? That said, you cannot expect an advancing runner to simply vanish into thin air the moment he is retired. You see him, you know he is there or you wouldn't be making the play. You adjust. If you are approaching a green light and a car is stopped in front of you in your lane, do you just plow into it because you don't believe they should be there? No, you go around.

Quote:
That is an unsafe practice that i find unacceptable, its not right, its not sportsmanlike, its against everything i was ever taught. Maybe i don't take this lightly because i play middle infield and have dealt with this situation for years.
What makes you so arrogant to think that just because you have learned one way, that is the correct way and the rest of the world is wrong? You make a threat to plant a ball in a player's face and then proceed to do so, then you call the player who is doing exactly what every runner has been taught to do "unsportsmanlike"? Until you learn the game of softball, you don't know what sportsmanship is. This is a game where you do not intentionally throw at runners. It is a game in which you are ejected for running into a defender. It is a game that most players understand is still a game and only part of their lives, not the life itself.

[/quote]And this players practicing??? Are you saying I don't practice? I've played hardball for twenty years, i played in college for 2 years...i've done my share of practicing. [/QUOTE]

No, you've been practicing to play BASEBALL and that doesn't mean squat if you are not practicing to play the game correctly.

What I was referring to was if you are so good and so right and practice so much, why is it you are whining about not being able to execute a play which thousands of softball players, male and female, from the ages of 11 through 70 execute on a daily basis without hitting a runner with the ball? Are you saying that your play is not up to snuff with that of a 12 year old school girl? I will say it again. Different game, different rules, different philosophies.

The other players are not out of sync, you are and you need to adjust. BTW, just because you move to a team with better players, everything that has been state by the posters throughout this thread will still apply. It is the game that is different, not the players.