The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Jim Evans has a league/conference/assocaition of his own?
Pretty much. He is one of two people granted the rights by MLB to write an professional baseball umpire manual to be applied to MLB. Likewise, he as one of two schools (Academy of Professional Umpiring) granted permission to train umpires to become professional answers. Additionally, he was the President of the Major League Baseball Umpires' Association - perhaps you've heard of this association.

Seems like a credible source to me. Certainly better than writing down some initials of someone at a local clinic.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
If he wants his umpires to clear the bats so that the marquee players making millions of dollars don't get injured, fine, they clear the bats.

My association says otherwise.
Again, it is troubling that MLB cares about million dollar players more than ASA cares about minor/amateur athletes. I would think that a major league player is more capable of avoiding injury, based upon experience and judgment, than a 10u softball player.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
but I would ask, just where 'in writing' on the MLB umpire manual does it address this? (either way)

Maximizing the Two-Umpire System on page 4, Section G-05
Clearing the Bat

Let me know what you think of his mechanic when you are done reading about it.

I should you mine, now you show me yours (ASA/NHSF/etc).
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One can start with the 30 foot difference in the base distance dimensions. Than go from there..... but I would ask, just where 'in writing' on the MLB umpire manual does it address this? (either way)
From Jim Evans' Manual

CLEARING THE BAT

1. With runners in scoring position, it may be advisable to remove a bat that may inhibit a runners slide or deflect a thrown ball to the plate. This is STRICTLY A COURTESY and not required mechanics. Your primary concern is to get in position for a play at the plate. If time permits, you may pick up the bat, and slide it forcefully from the field of play. Simply bend over, grab one end of the bat, and slide it forcefully from the field, do not kick or toss the bat in the air because people have been injured this way. Remember the acronym NAP that stands for NECESSARY, AVAILABLE, and POSSIBLE. Ask yourself is it necessary, available, or possible to move the bat.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
From Jim Evans' Manual

CLEARING THE BAT

1. With runners in scoring position, it may be advisable to remove a bat that may inhibit a runners slide or deflect a thrown ball to the plate. This is STRICTLY A COURTESY and not required mechanics. Your primary concern is to get in position for a play at the plate. If time permits, you may pick up the bat, and slide it forcefully from the field of play. Simply bend over, grab one end of the bat, and slide it forcefully from the field, do not kick or toss the bat in the air because people have been injured this way. Remember the acronym NAP that stands for NECESSARY, AVAILABLE, and POSSIBLE. Ask yourself is it necessary, available, or possible to move the bat.
great, so in a different game with different dimensions and timing. The confines of a softball field are also much tighter. Simply put, both are very different games.

Quote:
If I am sued (batter gets injured sliding into a bat) and need to justify why I didn't move a batter,
Your hero above put it in CAPS. This is the very same theory as why is it not a good idea for some rec and 'beer' leagues who attempt to implement a 'sliding policy'. Because each play is different and each ballpark is different, stating that a procedure should be required (or even recommended) to be followed when it comes to detached equipment is a good idea how now?
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because each play is different and each ballpark is different, stating that a procedure should be required (or even recommended) to be followed when it comes to detached equipment is a good idea how now?
Not to mention the fact that the umpire doesn't own or operate the field, game or equipment.

It the bat being in a certain place is a problem, maybe that should be addressed to the individual who placed it there. There is no rule requiring the batter to leave the bat in the area. For that matter, they can take it with them. If the teams have a problem with discarded equipment, they control that situation, not the umpire.

I guess if a catcher breaks a leg stepping into a hole dug by the batter, it is the umpire's fault because s/he did not fill it in before the catcher stepped up

The entire argument is a joke, but then again.......
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
(Evans) is one of two people granted the rights by MLB to write an professional baseball umpire manual to be applied to MLB.
Just to be clear, Evan's book is not "the Major League Umpire Manual". To present it as such is, at the least, misinformed, at the worst, just down right deceptive. The "MLBUM" is a separate entity that overrides any directive or instruction offered in "Maximizing the Two-Umpire System".

The book's title alone should should clue you in that it isn't the be-all and end-all for Major League Baseball, or even aimed at that audience. How many MLB games utilize the two-umpire system?
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

xtreamump

Jim Evans and the Little League Baseball/Softball Umpire School teach the same thing, Clearing the bat is a courtesy, if you feel that it is necessary, the bat is available, and it is possible for you to safetly bend over while watching the field grab the bat and slide it on the ground away from the area. Both schools have drills that teach Umpires how to do this simple task. Little things can make the difference of being good & being great. Do not be afraid of trying something new, it might work.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
great, so in a different game with different dimensions and timing. The confines of a softball field are also much tighter. Simply put, both are very different games.

Your hero above put it in CAPS. This is the very same theory as why is it not a good idea for some rec and 'beer' leagues who attempt to implement a 'sliding policy'. Because each play is different and each ballpark is different, stating that a procedure should be required (or even recommended) to be followed when it comes to detached equipment is a good idea how now?
You specifically asked me if I had a citation from Jim Evans. Now that I provide it you childishly change the argument. If you want to say that it's okay for baseball but not softball because of field dimensions that is okay. But don't act like an immature baby after I give you what you were asking for. Maybe you only asked thinking I wouldn't have an answer. Obviously you were dead wrong. Now why don't you get me something in writing from ASA saying not to move it. I would still disagree with their philosophy and reason but respect the mechanic. I used similar language when saying when to move it as Evan's does in the portion you highlighted.

For now I will await a written ASA ruling. The people in this forum seem quite tight with the ASA elite so it shouldn't be long before you can get something in writing.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Just to be clear, Evan's book is not "the Major League Umpire Manual". To present it as such is, at the least, misinformed, at the worst, just down right deceptive. The "MLBUM" is a separate entity that overrides any directive or instruction offered in "Maximizing the Two-Umpire System".

The book's title alone should should clue you in that it isn't the be-all and end-all for Major League Baseball, or even aimed at that audience. How many MLB games utilize the two-umpire system?
No one with a reading comprehension level skill above third grade would need your clarification. My language is careful, specific and accurate. I never said that it was the MLB manual.

To answer your other concern, the majority of MLB umpires use the two umpire system. There are multiple levels of MLB in case you weren't aware.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Trololo Sing Along! - YouTube

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Maybe we should start calling 'location' around 2nd base as well, after all the little ball peeps do (all in the name of 'safety' I guess) And while we are at it, have the BU positioned inside the bags with runners on at the time of the pitch!
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

When they make us start umpiring with "BB" on our backs, I'll move the bat. Until then, I'll make someone else do it. I'm guessing you serve concessions between innings as well ??
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe we should start calling 'location' around 2nd base as well, after all the little ball peeps do (all in the name of 'safety' I guess) And while we are at it, have the BU positioned inside the bags with runners on at the time of the pitch!
Oh, and don't forget pointing on our strike calls and calling "balk" on an IP! That'd be great, too!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

We do not have the luxury of working a 4 man system.
I am lucky to have 2 umps sometimes.

Going back quite a way (as I am pretty old), have always been taught and followed to stay away, not my business, not my responsibility. Not necessarily due to liability.
Must admit there is a rare time I may have moved one but more often been screamed at when there is a play at the plate because I paid no attention and got ready and in position for my call. What if I am worried about the darned bat and do not get ready for my call?
The bat is low on my priority list as I usually have something to see, or somewhere to go that is more important.

In my world; the on deck batter is responsible to take care of his or her teammate. They are not real far away like at a Major stadium.If the catcher is a good Joe or it is in their way, they will get rid of it.

Evans, Brink man etc. sometimes forget that we are not in the bigs.