The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NFHS - Umpire Responsible for Clearing bat (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/87745-nfhs-umpire-responsible-clearing-bat.html)

SpringtownHawk Tue Feb 07, 2012 07:51am

NFHS - Umpire Responsible for Clearing bat

A fellow blue was informed during a game last night by a HS Athletic Trainer that the Plate Umpire was responsible, or better stated, required, to clear a discarded bat from home plate. Unfortunately, I have yet to receive my 2012 NFHS Rule Book but I didn't find any reference in last years or the Umpire Manual. Any thoughts?

EsqUmp Tue Feb 07, 2012 08:04am

I know of no association that REQUIRES the umpire to remove the bat. One philosophy is that if the plate umpire can safely, cautiously and carefully remove the bat, than he should do so. He can either hand it to an on-deck batter if that person is right there to slide it away. They are not, however, to do this unless they can do so safely, cautiously and carefully.

If R3 is coming home for a play at the plate, I won't likely be getting involved. If R2 is going to score on a hit to the outfield, there is generally enough time to remove the bat.

There may be a lot of "clones" out there afraid to do something that is not directed of them, but it is more negligent to leave the bat there when it can be removed safely, cautiously and carefully.

RKBUmp Tue Feb 07, 2012 09:14am

Every association I work with has told us to leave the bat alone. The bat becomes part of the field after it leaves the batters hands. If the catcher wants it moved, let them move it.

Several reasons have been brought up, the main one being the liability issue. If you move the bat and then someone trips over and is injured, more than likely the blame is going to go on the umpire for having moved the bat. I was also told of a case where an umpire kicked a bat out of the way and then was blamed for damage to the bat and a claim filed against him.

NCASAUmp Tue Feb 07, 2012 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 820955)
Every association I work with has told us to leave the bat alone. The bat becomes part of the field after it leaves the batters hands. If the catcher wants it moved, let them move it.

Several reasons have been brought up, the main one being the liability issue. If you move the bat and then someone trips over and is injured, more than likely the blame is going to go on the umpire for having moved the bat. I was also told of a case where an umpire kicked a bat out of the way and then was blamed for damage to the bat and a claim filed against him.

Agreed. Leave the bat alone.

CecilOne Tue Feb 07, 2012 09:34am

Quote:

Thanks for saving me the typing.

derwil Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:13am

Quote:

+1. I'm not touching a bat.

JEL Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:35am

Quote:

That bat may also be in the exact spot the coach directed it to be discarded!

It ain't my bat, I didn't put it there, I ain't gonna touch it!

Andy Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEL (Post 820992)
...It ain't my bat, I didn't put it there, I ain't gonna touch it!

Thank you for stating this so eloquently!

pob14 Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:42am

At our statewide meeting last summer for the Illinois HSA, we were specifically instructed NOT to touch the bat, or any equipment. Or the players, but that's a different thread.

CecilOne Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:04pm

I think I see a consensus developing. ;)

SWFLguy Tue Feb 07, 2012 01:13pm

I won't even pick up the catcher's mask. You do something once and then not another time and you open up possible problems.

Umpteenth Tue Feb 07, 2012 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFLguy (Post 821085)
I won't even pick up the catcher's mask. You do something once and then not another time and you open up possible problems.

Yep, this is why I won't move a bat. If you do it for one team because the situation offered the time to do so, but then don't do it for the other team at the next opportunity (regardless of the situation, they aren't paying attention to that!) you might be accused of playing favorites, or whatever.

I agree with all the statements above as to reasons why NOT to move a bat!

HugoTafurst Tue Feb 07, 2012 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpringtownHawk (Post 820928)
A fellow blue was informed during a game last night by a HS Athletic Trainer that the Plate Umpire was responsible, or better stated, required, to clear a discarded bat from home plate. Unfortunately, I have yet to receive my 2012 NFHS Rule Book but I didn't find any reference in last years or the Umpire Manual. Any thoughts?

That's why Umpires Umpire and Trainers..... well, train!:D

SRW Tue Feb 07, 2012 09:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 820935)
... but it is more negligent to leave the bat there when it can be removed safely, cautiously and carefully.

Now I see why the ESQ! You're an armchair attorney!

EsqUmp Tue Feb 07, 2012 09:41pm

Do what your association/UIC tell you to do. Then you can at least blame them. I am wondering if they are willing to put into writing that you cannot remove a bat.

There is a clear history of not allowing removal of the bat. I will not debate that.

The standard by which to judge negligence (which would be the basis of any lawsuit in this type of situation) is whether the umpire acted as a reasonably prudent person.

Would a reasonably prudent person remove the bat if he/she could do so safely, carefully and cautiously?

Or would a reasonably prudent person leave a bat in front of home plate knowing that there is a significant chance that the runner will slide into it and possibly get entangled with the catcher?

While some may argue that someone may trip over the bat if the umpire moves it, I think that the chances of that and the result of the potential trip would be much less than the runner sliding into the bat.

Nothing will stop an umpire from getting sued anyway.