The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Not to mention the fact that the umpire doesn't own or operate the field, game or equipment.

The entire argument is a joke, but then again.......
So because we don't own any equipment, we shouldn't check it? Don't we do that as a courtesy for liability purposes.

The argument is far from a joke. If you don't like the mechanic, so be it. But your fear of anything that contradicts your cloned mechanics is troublesome. You've never used the mechanic so you can't speak from experience.

Someone with "two world cups" probably has enough contacts with ASA to get a written ruling. I look forward to seeing it.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
The majority of MLB umpires use the two umpire system. There are multiple levels of MLB in case you weren't aware.
No, sorry, I'm not aware of any other levels of Major League Baseball beyond the one that calls itself "Major League Baseball" and operates thirty Major League Baseball Clubs under the umbrella of "Major League Properties".

The multiple professional levels below Major League Baseball are collectively known as "Minor League Baseball".

I've seen official Major League Baseball games using three, four and six umpires before. Which level of Major League Baseball uses two?
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

+1
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Wow.

It's not in writing (that I know of) that I wear my hat with the brim forward, over my eyes when on the plate.

I think I'm gonna turn it around next time.

Wonder if I get anymore assignments when/if Wild Bill sees me.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 10:46am
Administrator

I umpire baseball (NFHS) and fastpitch softball (NFHS, ASA, and USSSA). I am a structural engineer and therefore understand the legal arguments that ExqUmp is using to justify moving a bat or catcherr's mask, BUT there is a very BIG problem with his argument, and that is bats and catcher's masks are part of the Playing Field. And while we are required to conduct a pre-game inspection of the playing field for any safety issues, by rule bats and catcher's masks in the context of this dicussion are not safety issues per se.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I umpire baseball (NFHS) and fastpitch softball (NFHS, ASA, and USSSA). I am a structural engineer and therefore understand the legal arguments that ExqUmp is using to justify moving a bat or catcherr's mask, BUT there is a very BIG problem with his argument, and that is bats and catcher's masks are part of the Playing Field. And while we are required to conduct a pre-game inspection of the playing field for any safety issues, by rule bats and catcher's masks in the context of this dicussion are not safety issues per se.

MTD, Sr.
Mark,

I'm glad to see someone else with some legal experience can contribute. I agree that those items do become part of the field. How do you think that plays into the duty to reasonably ensure a safe playing field whenever possible?
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Wow.

It's not in writing (that I know of) that I wear my hat with the brim forward, over my eyes when on the plate.

I think I'm gonna turn it around next time.

Wonder if I get anymore assignments when/if Wild Bill sees me.
Oh, I have a feeling you will get assignments.....may not be to the games you expect, but there will probably be assignments. Now, go get us all a nice draught, will ya'?

Think it is too early to ask where ASA states you have too run the bases in a specific order to score a run?
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, I have a feeling you will get assignments.....may not be to the games you expect, but there will probably be assignments. Now, go get us all a nice draught, will ya'?

Think it is too early to ask where ASA states you have too run the bases in a specific order to score a run?
The book does say that. It's under scoring. They even had to clarify it a few years ago regarding ITB.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The book does say that. It's under scoring. They even had to clarify it a few years ago regarding ITB.
Not true.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not true.
I guess you're right. So if we apply your logic in your original argument over the blatantly illegal softball bat (with the grip starting 4 inches from the knob), I guess the coach wouldn't be wrong to argue the BR could go to 3rd base first.

No wait, you're wrong. The batter-runner is out when...
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess you're right. So if we apply your logic in your original argument over the blatantly illegal softball bat (with the grip starting 4 inches from the knob), I guess the coach wouldn't be wrong to argue the BR could go to 3rd base first.

No wait, you're wrong. The batter-runner is out when...
You are right, NFHS does, but in "Touching Bases in Legal Order", not scoring. ASA has no such order listed. It was suggested a few years ago and dismissed as unnecessary as it would be obvious to the least intelligent person. Go figure.

And, BTW, Mr. Bliss, you are still clueless as it pertains to my raising the issue of "grip", but that does not surprise me as you "read" what you elect with minimal comprehension. I think sometimes, like many folks nowadays, you see certain words and make definitive assumptions instead of taking in the full context of the event.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sat Feb 11, 2012 at 10:36am.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Ump Esq

You strike me as a very young sophomoric umpire.

You are excused.

Last edited by NSABill; Sun Feb 12, 2012 at 07:33am.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSABill View Post
Ump Esq

You strike me as a very young sophmoric umpire.

You are excused.
Bringing forward ideas that aren't mentioned by others does not make me sophmoric [sic] umpire. It makes me one who has had the opportunity to discuss softball with people from around the country, people who have different points of view and different experiences. Rather than having one or two groups or dictators spell things out for me, I can take and reject and learn from their and my experience.

Your sarcastic approval is unwanted and unwarranted.

You are excused for your "sophmoric" spelling.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bringing forward ideas that aren't mentioned by others does not make me sophmoric [sic] umpire. It makes me one who has had the opportunity to discuss softball with people from around the country, people who have different points of view and different experiences. Rather than having one or two groups or dictators spell things out for me, I can take and reject and learn from their and my experience.

Your sarcastic approval is unwanted and unwarranted.

You are excused for your "sophmoric" spelling.
Bringing forth new ideas is a wonderful idea, so long as the person presenting such ideas does so in a respectful and tactful manner.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Thank you my Friend.
Should have used spell check.
Have a good season.