The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

NFHS - Umpire Responsible for Clearing bat

A fellow blue was informed during a game last night by a HS Athletic Trainer that the Plate Umpire was responsible, or better stated, required, to clear a discarded bat from home plate. Unfortunately, I have yet to receive my 2012 NFHS Rule Book but I didn't find any reference in last years or the Umpire Manual. Any thoughts?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

I know of no association that REQUIRES the umpire to remove the bat. One philosophy is that if the plate umpire can safely, cautiously and carefully remove the bat, than he should do so. He can either hand it to an on-deck batter if that person is right there to slide it away. They are not, however, to do this unless they can do so safely, cautiously and carefully.

If R3 is coming home for a play at the plate, I won't likely be getting involved. If R2 is going to score on a hit to the outfield, there is generally enough time to remove the bat.

There may be a lot of "clones" out there afraid to do something that is not directed of them, but it is more negligent to leave the bat there when it can be removed safely, cautiously and carefully.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Every association I work with has told us to leave the bat alone. The bat becomes part of the field after it leaves the batters hands. If the catcher wants it moved, let them move it.

Several reasons have been brought up, the main one being the liability issue. If you move the bat and then someone trips over and is injured, more than likely the blame is going to go on the umpire for having moved the bat. I was also told of a case where an umpire kicked a bat out of the way and then was blamed for damage to the bat and a claim filed against him.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Every association I work with has told us to leave the bat alone. The bat becomes part of the field after it leaves the batters hands. If the catcher wants it moved, let them move it.

Several reasons have been brought up, the main one being the liability issue. If you move the bat and then someone trips over and is injured, more than likely the blame is going to go on the umpire for having moved the bat. I was also told of a case where an umpire kicked a bat out of the way and then was blamed for damage to the bat and a claim filed against him.
Agreed. Leave the bat alone.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

Thanks for saving me the typing.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

+1. I'm not touching a bat.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That bat may also be in the exact spot the coach directed it to be discarded!

It ain't my bat, I didn't put it there, I ain't gonna touch it!
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL View Post
...It ain't my bat, I didn't put it there, I ain't gonna touch it!
Thank you for stating this so eloquently!
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

At our statewide meeting last summer for the Illinois HSA, we were specifically instructed NOT to touch the bat, or any equipment. Or the players, but that's a different thread.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I think I see a consensus developing.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

I won't even pick up the catcher's mask. You do something once and then not another time and you open up possible problems.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
I won't even pick up the catcher's mask. You do something once and then not another time and you open up possible problems.
Yep, this is why I won't move a bat. If you do it for one team because the situation offered the time to do so, but then don't do it for the other team at the next opportunity (regardless of the situation, they aren't paying attention to that!) you might be accused of playing favorites, or whatever.

I agree with all the statements above as to reasons why NOT to move a bat!
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringtownHawk View Post
A fellow blue was informed during a game last night by a HS Athletic Trainer that the Plate Umpire was responsible, or better stated, required, to clear a discarded bat from home plate. Unfortunately, I have yet to receive my 2012 NFHS Rule Book but I didn't find any reference in last years or the Umpire Manual. Any thoughts?

That's why Umpires Umpire and Trainers..... well, train!
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
... but it is more negligent to leave the bat there when it can be removed safely, cautiously and carefully.
Now I see why the ESQ! You're an armchair attorney!
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Do what your association/UIC tell you to do. Then you can at least blame them. I am wondering if they are willing to put into writing that you cannot remove a bat.

There is a clear history of not allowing removal of the bat. I will not debate that.

The standard by which to judge negligence (which would be the basis of any lawsuit in this type of situation) is whether the umpire acted as a reasonably prudent person.

Would a reasonably prudent person remove the bat if he/she could do so safely, carefully and cautiously?

Or would a reasonably prudent person leave a bat in front of home plate knowing that there is a significant chance that the runner will slide into it and possibly get entangled with the catcher?

While some may argue that someone may trip over the bat if the umpire moves it, I think that the chances of that and the result of the potential trip would be much less than the runner sliding into the bat.

Nothing will stop an umpire from getting sued anyway.