The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

ASA - clarification

On a bunt attempt, does the batter have to pull the bat back in order for a strike to not be called? That is, if the batter leaves the bat in the strike zone, he/she is not considered to have taken the pitch and it is considered a bunt attempt.

Does this rule differ in PONY? I don't have a rule book handy as I'm at work (and should be working....) but I'm curious.

Thanks!

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.

Last edited by LIUmp; Sat Mar 12, 2011 at 09:03pm. Reason: fixed my wording
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Their rule is written very similarly to the ASA rule, but I can ask one of their higher-up UICs when I see him tomorrow (he calls in our association).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Dave, but I was more curious about the ASA ruling...I would like to know the PONY ruling too. I ask because I thought in one association, (and I work for 3), the batter does not have to pull the bat back. But in the other, if she doesn't, you call a strike on the bunt attempt. Though it's been a long winter and I may be very rusty.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

The reason why I'm asking is because I am reading "myths" on a website and it struck me as something I wanted clarified.

Quote:
This myth has changed for 2009: The definition of a bunt attempt has changed, and now holding the bat in the strike zone is considered a bunt attempt. The batter is now requiring to withdrawn the bat in order to take a pitch.
Rationale: The new definition will make the bunt attempt easier for an umpire to determine and
creates a better balance between offense and defense.

Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBlueASA View Post
Thanks Dave, but I was more curious about the ASA ruling...I would like to know the PONY ruling too. I ask because I thought in one association, (and I work for 3), the batter does not have to pull the bat back. But in the other, if she doesn't, you call a strike on the bunt attempt. Though it's been a long winter and I may be very rusty.
ASA does not require the batter to pull the bat back. I'll ask Mike when I see him tomorrow.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Hence why I asked...when I saw this on a website, especially the part where it said the rule changed in 2009, I thought, "oh no! I've been calling it where the batter is NOT required to bring the bat back....any movement forward is considered an attempt, but not when he/she holds the bat there."

And then I read this, and say....have I been wrong for 2 years now???!!

Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

ASA - no strike unless batter moves the bat toward the ball. Putting the bat out across the plate and simply leaving it there is not a strike. And, assuming of course, pitch is not in the strike zone.

NFHS - must pull the bat back or it will be considered an attempt.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

No, it is not accurate with ASA.

Personally, I consider the thought that not requiring the batter to attempt to hit the ball out of strike zone for it to be a strike ludicrous.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On a bunt attempt, does the batter have to pull the bat back in order for a strike to not be called? That is, if the batter leaves the bat in the strike zone, he/she is not considered to have taken the pitch and it is considered a bunt attempt.

Does this rule differ in PONY? I don't have a rule book handy as I'm at work (and should be working....) but I'm curious.

Thanks!
Spoke with Mike H. of PONY. They differ from ASA in that the batter does have to pull the bat back in PONY for it not to be a strike.

Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

So, in PONY, if the bat is in the strike zone, it is a strike. Sounds good to me.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
So, in PONY, if the bat is in the strike zone, it is a strike. Sounds good to me.
That's what he told me today, so... Yep!

Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
I must be the only one who thinks this is a "lazy man's" rule. IMO, a ball out of the strike zone is never a strike if the batter did not attempt to hit the ball or the ball did not hit the bat. IMO, there is no viable reason for this rule to exist in an environment using professional umpires.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with you Mike. I don't see why a strike would be called if the batter never offered at the pitch. In fact, it goes against the definition of a check swing and offering at a pitch.

And Dave and Mike and others, I thank you yet again for clearing up my confusion. This has been the way I have been calling it - ASA no strike, PONY strike...

Someone will want to mention to the Dallas Metroplex Softball Association that there is a mistake on their website under the forty myths. They have incorrectly listed this as an ASA rule, when it is, in fact, an NFHS and PONY rule.

DMSUA.COM

Myth number 11.

Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm with you Mike. I don't see why a strike would be called if the batter never offered at the pitch. In fact, it goes against the definition of a check swing and offering at a pitch.

And Dave and Mike and others, I thank you yet again for clearing up my confusion. This has been the way I have been calling it - ASA no strike, PONY strike...

Someone will want to mention to the Dallas Metroplex Softball Association that there is a mistake on their website under the forty myths. They have incorrectly listed this as an ASA rule, when it is, in fact, an NFHS and PONY rule.

DMSUA.COM

Myth number 11.
This is not a PONY rule or a correct interpretation according to the PONY rule book.
From the Points of Emphasis section in the PONY 2010 Girls Softball Rules and Regulations book (Pg.V):
#8 CHECK SWING/BUNT STRIKE
"On a bunt attempt where the batter puts the bat across the plate, unless the batter moves the bat towards the ball, a strike would not be called if the ball is out of the strike zone."
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

DMSUA.COM

Myth number 11.
The person I spoke with made the comment, "if the rule changes in high school, I can guarantee you it will change the very next year in PONY." I suspect they want to have some amount of consistency for the girls who play NFHS.