The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

How about if a palyer is sliding on his/herr stomach? This happens even more when going for loose ball. As long as he/she doesn't turn to side or get up, this isn't traveling either. Yes?
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

I have been told two different answers to this question. A1 is leaps at a loose ball on the floor. A1 recovers the ball while on his back. A1 slides about 2 feet but does not roll over and is able to stay on his back. Does the slide constitute a travel? I have been told the player can slide across the court as long as he does not roll over. True or False?

Also had this situation last night. A player control foul is called on A1. As we are inbounding the ball, B1 and A2 receive double techs from my partner. The techs were justified. The question is do we go with possesion arrow or does Team B get the ball for the palyer control foul?
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
I have been told two different answers to this question. A1 is leaps at a loose ball on the floor. A1 recovers the ball while on his back. A1 slides about 2 feet but does not roll over and is able to stay on his back. Does the slide constitute a travel? I have been told the player can slide across the court as long as he does not roll over. True or False?

I don't have my books, so I can't cite the rule, but in that situation, a player may slide for as far as his/her momentum allows. (Barring a boundary violation, of course.)

During last year's NCAA tournament, an announcer actually said, "What a smart play! After recovering the ball, he managed to get rid of it before he slid too far and picked up the travelling call." I wanted his partner to ask him how much farther could the player have gone, but....

I am still tempted to send rule books to the CBS analysts.

[This message has been edited by Martin Morgan (edited February 17, 2000).]
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Situation 1: True. Sliding, as a result of momentum from obtaining the ball, is not travelling. 4.42.5B

Situation 2: Go to the arrow (Fed rules) on all double fouls (personal or technical). 4-19-7a and 4-19-7b.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Regarding the slide from the loose ball, the player absolutely can slide from his initial momentum without penalty. And if he's on his back, he can even sit straight up legally. Just don't roll sideways.

As far as the player-control foul, and then double techs, consider it a false double foul, and administer them in the order they occured. Thus, you'd go with the possession arrow from the "T's" and put the ball in at half court.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

First Question:

***The play you described does not constitute a travel!

Second Question:
Also had this situation last night. A player control foul is called on A1. As we are inbounding the ball, B and A2 receive double techs from my partner. The techs were justified. The question is do we go with possesion arrow or does Team B get the ball for the palyer control foul?
***NFHS Rule= This call depends on whether the throw-in was completed before the fouls. If the throw-in was not completed, then the possession arrow is not lost by team B because a team can not lose the possession arrow by virtue of a foul (only a violation loses the arrow). However, if the throw-in was completed (thus changing the possession arrow) and then the technicals happened, Team A would get the ball.
--TGR
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

quote:

Second Question:
Also had this situation last night. A player control foul is called on A1. As we are inbounding the ball, B and A2 receive double techs from my partner. The techs were justified. The question is do we go with possesion arrow or does Team B get the ball for the palyer control foul?
***NFHS Rule= This call depends on whether the throw-in was completed before the fouls. If the throw-in was not completed, then the possession arrow is not lost by team B because a team can not lose the possession arrow by virtue of a foul (only a violation loses the arrow). However, if the throw-in was completed (thus changing the possession arrow) and then the technicals happened, Team A would get the ball.
--TGR

Huh? Why does the arrow change on the initial throw-in? It was for a PC foul.

You are correct, though, that wherever the arrow is (assuming it's correct, of course) determines who gets the throw-in on the double T. The arrow is changed after that throw-in.

Old Fri Feb 18, 2000, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Huh? Why does the arrow change on the initial throw-in? It was for a PC foul.
You are correct, though, that wherever the arrow is (assuming it's correct, of course) determines who gets the throw-in on the double T. The arrow is changed after that throw-in.
REPLY= Bob,
I'm sorry if I confused you. I misread the question. The throw-in by B was a result of a foul and not a held ball, etc. Sorry
Old Fri Feb 18, 2000, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Todd, can his momentum let him roll once or twice? Had a kid dive, get ball, and roll once or twice from the dive. He wasn't doing it to avoid anyone... Whatcha think?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2000, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Art N on 02-18-2000 09:20 PM
Todd, can his momentum let him roll once or twice? Had a kid dive, get ball, and roll once or twice from the dive. He wasn't doing it to avoid anyone... Whatcha think?

Generally , I'd say that would be a travel, but the rules are a little vague on that point. The casebook (4.42.5B) implies that a player can roll if he is still sliding, but once he stops THEN he can't roll over. I guess you have to decide if it was an unavoidable result of the dive and whether he gained an advantage from the rolling. If he does roll, I doubt you'll get any argument from calling the violation--most people seem to know he can't do that. It's the sliding part that some people still don't seem to get. Rolling once seems plausible, but TWICE seems more than his momentum would likely cause. Still your judgment on that, though.