The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Question Clarification ?

I got the new Redding NFHS 2007 Football Rules Study Guide, I like it and find it very useful, however, this time, please help me with this:

Under the Chapter 2 Recent Rules Changes
End Zone Penalty Enforcement
"Basic spots for enforcement of penalties were clarified. The basic spot is the 20-yard line for fouls by the opponent of the team in possession a the time of the foul when when the opponent is responsible for forcing the ball across the goal line of the team in possession, and the run ends in the end zone adn is followed by a loose ball, regardless of where the loose ball becomes dead. (10-4-6)"

Can somebody help me figure out how this is a clarification, and 'splain it to me in simpler terms?

I've read this a number of times and it isn't getting a whole lot clearer.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

This is a rule that a few of us, myself included got changed. Bob M and SRH were the instigators and asked a few of us to get involved.

Here it is a little simpler.
Let's say A is running for a TD, but fumbles the ball into the EZ and B65 picks it up and while in the EZ A22 grabs and twists the face mask of B65. B65 fumbles the ball while in the EZ and it goes out of the EZ, goes OOB's at the 3, or is recovered by A78 at the 3. In this case the 15 yard penalty will be enforced from the 20 yard line, making it 1-10 at the 35.
Why; team A was responsible for forcing the ball across the goal line of B, and fouled B while B was in possession and B then fumbled the ball in the EZ. It doesn't matter where the ball becomes dead, enforce the penalty from the 20.

Now let's look at the other possibility.
Let's say it is 2-10 at A's 2 yard line and A35 gets a handoff and floats back into his EZ and B90 grabs and twists the face mask. A35 fumbles the ball while in the EZ and it goes out of the EZ, goes OOB's at the 3, or is recovered by B45 at the 3. In this case the 15 yard penalty will be enforced from the goal line, making it 1-10 at A's 15.
Why; team A was responsible for forcing the ball across their own goal line, and was fouled by B and then fumbled the ball in the EZ. It doesn't matter where the ball becomes dead, enforce the penalty from A's goal line.

Now, the foul need not be in the EZ, but the run must end in the EZ.
The keys are
1. Who is responsible for forcing the ball across the EZ?
2. A foul occurred by the opponent of the team in possession.
3. The run ended in the EZ, (fumble).

Hope that helps. I don't have my new books yet to see what, if any case plays were added.

Last edited by MJT; Sun Jul 15, 2007 at 03:36pm.
Old Sat Jul 21, 2007, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a Follow Up Question

Let's change the scenario. Instead of a foul by A, let's change it to a foul by B. A friend of mine and I have debated this one till we're blue in the face. We were hoping the new ruling would help this scenario, but it doesn't appear to:

A's ball 1 and 10 from the B15 yard line. A throws a pass and it is intercepted by B27 in the endzone. While trying to run the ball out, B27 fumbles the ball which goes out of the endzone and out of bounds at the 2 yard line. Prior to the ball going out of bounds, B blocks in the back at the 10 yard line.

What do you have?
Old Sat Jul 21, 2007, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

The new ruling 10.4.7 does not apply as foul was by same team in possesion, Peanlize as normal. Basic spot is 20 (end of run is in end zonE)

you have foul behind basic spot. 10 yd line 1/2 distance 1st and 10 at 5.

In previous note from MJT where a35 goes back into endzone and has a face mask foul and then fumbles. there is no change here. lose ball foul, go back to previous spot and mark off 15.

see case book 10.3.1

Last edited by andy1033; Sat Jul 21, 2007 at 09:10pm.
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1033
The new ruling 10.4.7 does not apply as foul was by same team in possesion, Peanlize as normal. Basic spot is 20 (end of run is in end zonE)

you have foul behind basic spot. 10 yd line 1/2 distance 1st and 10 at 5.
So you have obvious choice by A to decline the penalty, making B start at their own 2.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbio
Let's change the scenario. Instead of a foul by A, let's change it to a foul by B. A friend of mine and I have debated this one till we're blue in the face. We were hoping the new ruling would help this scenario, but it doesn't appear to:

A's ball 1 and 10 from the B15 yard line. A throws a pass and it is intercepted by B27 in the endzone. While trying to run the ball out, B27 fumbles the ball which goes out of the endzone and out of bounds at the 2 yard line. Prior to the ball going out of bounds, B blocks in the back at the 10 yard line.

What do you have?
REPLY: You're right. The way the 10-4-6 currently reads, it only covers fouls by the opponents of the team in possession. It shouldn't. We goofed. It should cover fouls by either team. Your play is a good example. A better example would be if B blocked illegally at B's 30.