The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

DP Question

ASA Rule 4 Section 3 A, States that a DP may be used for any player provided it is made known prior to the start of the game and the player is indicated in the line-up as one of the nine in the original batting order.

Does the team Manager/Coach have to tell the PU that the DP will play defense, during the line-up card inspection, at the plate meeting? I recently worked a tournament and the UIC brought this up to me. I want to know how you all interpret this rule. I was under the impression that when the DP and FLEX were listed on the line-up that the DP was eligible to play defense, without it being said at the plate.

Last edited by txtrooper; Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 08:07pm.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrooper View Post
Rule 4 Section 3 A, States that a DP may be used for any player provided it is made known prior to the start of the game and the player is indicated in the line-up as one of the nine in the original batting order.

Does the team Manager/Coach have to tell the PU that the DP will play defense, during the line-up card inspection, at the plate meeting? I recently worked a tournament and the UIC brought this up to me. I want to know how you all interpret this rule. I was under the impression that when the DP and FLEX were listed on the line-up that the DP was eligible to play defense, without it being said at the plate.
Whether "required" or not depends on the sanctioning body and what position the DP is playing defensively. Even where it is not required, it is expected that a coach will let the PU know when a change has been made. I'm using "required" to indicate that there is a penalty or potential penalty when not reported. Now, why wouldn't you report the change of having your DP play defense for somebody other than the Flex?
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrooper View Post
ASA Rule 4 Section 3 A, States that a DP may be used for any player provided it is made known prior to the start of the game and the player is indicated in the line-up as one of the nine in the original batting order.

Listing the DP/FLEX on the lineup card IS making it known prior to the start of the game. I do not need, nor expect a verbal confirmation (nor do I think the rule writers intended this) except when I hand the lineup back to the coach to make sure that it is exactly as they want it to be, all numbers, positions...etc. properly listed.

After I have reviewed the lineup cards and accepted them, making them official, I will always ask the coaches if there are any changes that they would like to make to their lineup at that time. Most coaches give me that deer in the headlights look, but once in a while I will get one that will say something along the lines of, "yes, my FLEX is going in to bat for my DP."

The purpose of the rule stating that it has to be "made known" prior to the start of the game is simple. You cannot change your mind mid game and decide that you suddenly want to use the DP/FLEX in your lineup.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.

Last edited by Skahtboi; Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 10:17pm.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
= "yes, my FLEX is going in to pitch for my DP."
? ?
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
? ?
I think he ment, "yes, my flex is going in to bat for my DP. This is done at higher level ball, and if you Google "how to use DP/Flex" you will find out why.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
I think he ment, "yes, my flex is going in to bat for my DP. This is done at higher level ball, and if you Google "how to use DP/Flex" you will find out why.

Yep, I did. I will change it now.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2010, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input, I did not believe the UIC'S interpretation of this rule was correct and wanted to bounce it off you all.