Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
If we're ONLY talking Tuesday night rec league, I have no problem with allowing an on-call emergency services worker keep his radio on his belt so long as:

1 - It doesn't cause any major distractions on the field (ie., constant chatter)
2 - It doesn't pose any safety problems for anyone.

Most of these radios are now pretty small. I can't imagine the radios I've seen causing any problems on the field, and the wearer can turn it down pretty easily.

Common sense needs to be applied here. By rule, would I be justified in having him remove it from the field? Yes. Am I going to ask an emergency services worker to do so? If the two conditions above are met, my answer is no, I won't ask him/her to remove the radio.
Again, if it is that small, it can go in their pocket where the umpire cannot see it to rule upon....

In my area, a radio is kept in the dugout and can be heard by the players on that side of the infield.

Common sense should tell the umpire to insure the safety of other participants. Would it be a rarity if someone was? Absolutely. Is that a reason to forego the rules? I don't think so.

BTW, if you are in an area where police officers are required to be armed at all times, do you let them on the field with a sidearm? Of course, you don't. Why? Because common sense tells you that doing so places the other players in danger.