View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

I suspect most emergency response professionals can get away with just setting down their device, but doctors have a special predicament.

doctors are bound by doctor-patient privilege. they can't have so-and-so's cancer status, or procedure being announced or being fielded by anyone, so they might not want to put down that cell phone w/ push-to-talk feature. they could find themselves in liable and in legal hot water over a very small careless leak of information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Again, if it is that small, it can go in their pocket where the umpire cannot see it to rule upon....

In my area, a radio is kept in the dugout and can be heard by the players on that side of the infield.

Common sense should tell the umpire to insure the safety of other participants. Would it be a rarity if someone was? Absolutely. Is that a reason to forego the rules? I don't think so.

BTW, if you are in an area where police officers are required to be armed at all times, do you let them on the field with a sidearm? Of course, you don't. Why? Because common sense tells you that doing so places the other players in danger.

Last edited by shagpal; Sat Feb 27, 2010 at 05:17am. Reason: "doctor-client" to "doctor-patient"