The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 08, 2000, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Question

As usual, the NFHS is somewhat clear as mud on electronic devices. We all know that you cannot use them for coaching, but you can use laptops, palm pilots, etc for statistical tracking purposes. I ran into this last year where an asst. coach was using a palm to (supposedly) track stats while on the bench. What is the best way to prove or disprove this? The rule book doesn't say we can banish the device off the bench if it is being used for stats (I would like to see the Asst. move back a row or two, just to ensure there is no other use for it). Short of sitting there with them how will I know?

I don't want to get into a urinary olympics with a coach if I unilaterally ban all items, because the rules are clear, they can have it, just not to coach. In fact, in our state meeting they said it was ok for a coach to use a cell phone on the sideline, as long as it was non-game related (the example used was wife going into labor).

Has anyone else run into this?? With these items getting smaller all the time I am sure we will see more of it.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2000, 03:03pm
Esteemed Participant

They can clearly use a computer or palm pilot to track stats during the game...check once to see what they are using it for and then ignore it...as far as other devices, we had a local HS varsity boys team which tried to use walkie-talkies at one point...the ass't. coach on the bench had one of the small ear-piece receivers in his ear and was getting info from another coach sitting up in the balcony watching the game and replays on video...would never have known except the ass't jumped up and down aftewr a play and it fell out right at me feet...I picked it up, looked at him, and called a T...it was reported to the State and they were told quite clearly not to do it again...as far as I know they didn't...