View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Again, if it is that small, it can go in their pocket where the umpire cannot see it to rule upon....

In my area, a radio is kept in the dugout and can be heard by the players on that side of the infield.

Common sense should tell the umpire to insure the safety of other participants. Would it be a rarity if someone was? Absolutely. Is that a reason to forego the rules? I don't think so.

BTW, if you are in an area where police officers are required to be armed at all times, do you let them on the field with a sidearm? Of course, you don't. Why? Because common sense tells you that doing so places the other players in danger.
A sidearm is a deadly weapon. I've yet to see a radio in .40 S&W, but call me when you see one. I'd love to test it out on the range.

In leagues, we let plenty of rules slide all the time. Do we force the players to all wear 100% matching uniforms? Tuck in their shirts? Keep from stepping out of the dugout for a smoke? No. Are these rules always in writing? No, but we're exercising common sense. The leagues here have made it clear to us that the emphasis is on participation, not solely on competition.

ASA rules are written for ASA championship play, not for Tuesday night rec league. So if the tempo set by the league is that we should focus more on participation while maintaining safety and the integrity of the game, AND the radio does not pose any safety threat (unlike a loaded sidearm), I see no problem with letting someone like an EMT keep the radio on his person if he's on call. I may ask him if he could put it in the dugout, and I could easily sell him on the idea. He'll probably comply, but I won't push that issue. There's wiggle room.

If it's an ASA tourney, on the other hand, then there is no wiggle room.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.