The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Situations From This Weekend's Tournament

Had a pretty good ASA tourney here in B'ham this weekend. Temps on Sat were a little cool but Sunday was perfect. Couple situations I wanted to run by ya'll..........

1. Hard hit ball to third base. Initially hits the ground 5 ft past 3b, about 1 ft foul. PU (not me) signals fair ball. His explination is that it was fair when it went past 3b. Is this correct? I understand if it was a grounder past 3b but the inital contact was in foul territory.

2. Pop up to 1st base. 1b runs to the line put her glove up and muffs it. Glove/ball in foul territory, player in fair. I called foul ball. OC ticked because the BR made it to 1st.

3. Pop up to 1b. BR trotting to 1st in her lane in foul territory. 1B muffs the catch again and ball hits glove in fair territory then the BR in foul territory before it comes back to the ground. I got nothing.....

4. Runner beats out a throw at 1B. Her speed carries her through the base several steps. She stops and thaks a few steps back towards first the her coach yells to her go to second. Ball is is back in the circle at this point. She reaches second without a problem because 2B was covering 1B and SS was asleep. I called time and was about to put her back to first for making her initial move back to 1B, but partner said that was leagal - she was looking for the ball position. I wasn't happy about it but I wasn't going to argue with him. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help....
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Had a pretty good ASA tourney here in B'ham this weekend. Temps on Sat were a little cool but Sunday was perfect. Couple situations I wanted to run by ya'll..........

1. Hard hit ball to third base. Initially hits the ground 5 ft past 3b, about 1 ft foul. PU (not me) signals fair ball. His explination is that it was fair when it went past 3b. Is this correct? I understand if it was a grounder past 3b but the inital contact was in foul territory.
Not if it first touched the ground beyond 3B... That's a foul ball, blue.

Quote:
2. Pop up to 1st base. 1b runs to the line put her glove up and muffs it. Glove/ball in foul territory, player in fair. I called foul ball. OC ticked because the BR made it to 1st.
Too bad, coach. That's a foul ball.

Quote:
3. Pop up to 1b. BR trotting to 1st in her lane in foul territory. 1B muffs the catch again and ball hits glove in fair territory then the BR in foul territory before it comes back to the ground. I got nothing.....
Same here. Ball was deflected off a fielder first. Unless the BR intentionally interfered, it's nothing.

Quote:
4. Runner beats out a throw at 1B. Her speed carries her through the base several steps. She stops and thaks a few steps back towards first the her coach yells to her go to second. Ball is is back in the circle at this point. She reaches second without a problem because 2B was covering 1B and SS was asleep. I called time and was about to put her back to first for making her initial move back to 1B, but partner said that was leagal - she was looking for the ball position. I wasn't happy about it but I wasn't going to argue with him. Any ideas?
I do SP, so someone else will have to comment.

Quote:
Thanks for the help....
Welcome!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

On your last question. If the ball was in the circle, the BR had over run 1st, and had turned and committed back to 1st, she should have been declared out for a look back violation.

Rules supplement 34G.
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The ball was in the pitcher's hands in the circle WHEN?

If the ball was back in the circle prior to the runner deviating her path toward 1B, that is a LBR violation and the runner should have been declared out.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 07:48am
Ref Ump Welsch

derwil said in the OP:
Quote:
NCASAUmp in response:
Quote:
Not if it first touched the ground beyond 3B... That's a foul ball, blue.
One thing to keep in mind, and this pisses off the players more often than not, is if the ball bounds over any part of the base in fair territory, where it lands after that is irrelevant. The PU in the OP probably saw the ball go over the base in fair territory.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
derwil said in the OP:

NCASAUmp in response:

One thing to keep in mind, and this pisses off the players more often than not, is if the ball bounds over any part of the base in fair territory, where it lands after that is irrelevant. The PU in the OP probably saw the ball go over the base in fair territory.
But, it was a fly ball (a liner, not a bounding ball) that landed foul 5 ft past the bag. So, it doesn't matter if it did cross the bag, it is still a foul ball.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
NCASAUmp in response:

One thing to keep in mind, (snipped irrelevancy), is if the ball bounds over any part of the base in fair territory, where it lands after that is irrelevant. The PU in the OP probably saw the ball go over the base in fair territory.
derwil said in the OP:
"His explination is that it was fair when it went past 3b. "

What are you getting at?
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
derwil said in the OP:

NCASAUmp in response:

Of course, but that's assuming it first touched the ground BEFORE passing 3B. In the OP, the ball first touched the ground in foul territory beyond 3B. It did not "bound past 3B."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 12:23pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Ooops...sorry, didn't have my morning caffiene fix before I posted. I missed the word "initially" in the OP. I'll go to the shed and flog myself now.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

derwil,

Was this the Viper Tournament?

If so, make sure you read up on rule 6-10-E FP (not that you don't, or this was you, but some one up there may have missed one).

I don't want my brother in law calling complaining anymore!
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
The ball was in the pitcher's hands in the circle WHEN?

If the ball was back in the circle prior to the runner deviating her path toward 1B, that is a LBR violation and the runner should have been declared out.
Thank goodness we don't have to worry about this in Canada.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7in60 View Post
Thank goodness we don't have to worry about this in Canada.
If I had my druthers, we wouldn't in this country, either.

I bet about 20 posters just said, "damn, I hope he doesn't get on his Let's Kill the LBR soapbox again."
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
If I had my druthers, we wouldn't in this country, either.

I bet about 20 posters just said, "damn, I hope he doesn't get on his Let's Kill the LBR soapbox again."
Actually, I am one who agrees.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

"damn, I hope he doesn't get on his Let's Kill the LBR soapbox again."
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

derwil, exactly what and where was this tournament? I'm in Blount Springs and would have gone to see some of it.