The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Alright...it's almost Friday night and Saturday afternoon. As a little warm up, consider this play for both Federation and NCAA codes:

PLAY: From midfield, 2nd and 5, A20 runs to B's 40 where B55 grabs and twists his facemask. A20 maintains his feet and legally hands the ball to A85 at B's 35. A85 runs to B's 5 where he is driven OOB. Ruling? [Hint: Federation and NCAA rulings differ on this one.]
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Based on the definition of running and loose-ball plays (2-31) under NF rules we would penalize from the B5 half the distance to the goal. The handing did not constitute a loose-ball play and thus the end of the running play was at B5.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

And I believe for NCAA, the "end of the run" was when he handed off the ball. Ball on the 20 if they take the penalty, ball on the 5 if they decline.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 10:01am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Alright...it's almost Friday night and Saturday afternoon. As a little warm up, consider this play for both Federation and NCAA codes:

PLAY: From midfield, 2nd and 5, A20 runs to B's 40 where B55 grabs and twists his facemask. A20 maintains his feet and legally hands the ball to A85 at B's 35. A85 runs to B's 5 where he is driven OOB. Ruling? [Hint: Federation and NCAA rulings differ on this one.]
Canadian Amateur Ruling:

Twisting the facemask. This could be a rough play (RP) foul or perhaps just UR.

Either way, half the distance to the goal from the B5 and automatic 1D. If it's an RP, DQ for player B-55.

Mike
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

A ball 1st and goal at the 2.5.......gonna wear the white hat for the first time in a Varsity game this week, speaking of getting ready......lookin forward to it....
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

We arugued this question last week at our meeting. Tack it on to the end of the last run and 1st and goal at the 2.5. Great question, thanks for warm-up!!
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Sorry guys,

FED rules. 1st and goal at the five. The foul is penalized from the end of the related run which would be the B 35. It is not marked off at the end of the play. A would obviously decline the penalty.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Steved21, In this play the related run is the last run, as in order to end a run in this situation, a player must lose posssesion by either a fumble or a pass, a handoff does not end the run. So the basic spot (end of run) is the 5 see 10.4.3b from the case book and the related comments.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Steved21, In this play the related run is the last run, as in order to end a run in this situation, a player must lose posssesion by either a fumble or a pass, a handoff does not end the run. So the basic spot (end of run) is the 5 see 10.4.3b from the case book and the related comments.
This is what I get for trying to work while getting my football done. I didn't read the whole play, just saw 2 different runners. Gotta stop doing the work on Fridays.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

thankfully I work in a place where work can be the second option....LOL