The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Situations From This Weekend's Tournament (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/55147-situations-weekends-tournament.html)

derwil Sun Oct 25, 2009 09:16pm

Situations From This Weekend's Tournament

Had a pretty good ASA tourney here in B'ham this weekend. Temps on Sat were a little cool but Sunday was perfect. Couple situations I wanted to run by ya'll..........

1. Hard hit ball to third base. Initially hits the ground 5 ft past 3b, about 1 ft foul. PU (not me) signals fair ball. His explination is that it was fair when it went past 3b. Is this correct? I understand if it was a grounder past 3b but the inital contact was in foul territory.

2. Pop up to 1st base. 1b runs to the line put her glove up and muffs it. Glove/ball in foul territory, player in fair. I called foul ball. OC ticked because the BR made it to 1st.

3. Pop up to 1b. BR trotting to 1st in her lane in foul territory. 1B muffs the catch again and ball hits glove in fair territory then the BR in foul territory before it comes back to the ground. I got nothing.....

4. Runner beats out a throw at 1B. Her speed carries her through the base several steps. She stops and thaks a few steps back towards first the her coach yells to her go to second. Ball is is back in the circle at this point. She reaches second without a problem because 2B was covering 1B and SS was asleep. I called time and was about to put her back to first for making her initial move back to 1B, but partner said that was leagal - she was looking for the ball position. I wasn't happy about it but I wasn't going to argue with him. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help....

NCASAUmp Sun Oct 25, 2009 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwil (Post 632785)
Had a pretty good ASA tourney here in B'ham this weekend. Temps on Sat were a little cool but Sunday was perfect. Couple situations I wanted to run by ya'll..........

1. Hard hit ball to third base. Initially hits the ground 5 ft past 3b, about 1 ft foul. PU (not me) signals fair ball. His explination is that it was fair when it went past 3b. Is this correct? I understand if it was a grounder past 3b but the inital contact was in foul territory.

Not if it first touched the ground beyond 3B... That's a foul ball, blue.

Quote:

2. Pop up to 1st base. 1b runs to the line put her glove up and muffs it. Glove/ball in foul territory, player in fair. I called foul ball. OC ticked because the BR made it to 1st.

Too bad, coach. That's a foul ball.

Quote:

3. Pop up to 1b. BR trotting to 1st in her lane in foul territory. 1B muffs the catch again and ball hits glove in fair territory then the BR in foul territory before it comes back to the ground. I got nothing.....

Same here. Ball was deflected off a fielder first. Unless the BR intentionally interfered, it's nothing.

Quote:

4. Runner beats out a throw at 1B. Her speed carries her through the base several steps. She stops and thaks a few steps back towards first the her coach yells to her go to second. Ball is is back in the circle at this point. She reaches second without a problem because 2B was covering 1B and SS was asleep. I called time and was about to put her back to first for making her initial move back to 1B, but partner said that was leagal - she was looking for the ball position. I wasn't happy about it but I wasn't going to argue with him. Any ideas?

I do SP, so someone else will have to comment.

Quote:

Thanks for the help....

Welcome!

RKBUmp Sun Oct 25, 2009 09:43pm

On your last question. If the ball was in the circle, the BR had over run 1st, and had turned and committed back to 1st, she should have been declared out for a look back violation.

Rules supplement 34G.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Oct 25, 2009 09:53pm

Quote:

The ball was in the pitcher's hands in the circle WHEN?

If the ball was back in the circle prior to the runner deviating her path toward 1B, that is a LBR violation and the runner should have been declared out.

Ref Ump Welsch Mon Oct 26, 2009 07:48am

derwil said in the OP:
Quote:

NCASAUmp in response:
Quote:

Not if it first touched the ground beyond 3B... That's a foul ball, blue.
One thing to keep in mind, and this pisses off the players more often than not, is if the ball bounds over any part of the base in fair territory, where it lands after that is irrelevant. The PU in the OP probably saw the ball go over the base in fair territory.

Skahtboi Mon Oct 26, 2009 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 632827)
derwil said in the OP:

NCASAUmp in response:

One thing to keep in mind, and this pisses off the players more often than not, is if the ball bounds over any part of the base in fair territory, where it lands after that is irrelevant. The PU in the OP probably saw the ball go over the base in fair territory.

But, it was a fly ball (a liner, not a bounding ball) that landed foul 5 ft past the bag. So, it doesn't matter if it did cross the bag, it is still a foul ball.

CecilOne Mon Oct 26, 2009 08:28am

Quote:

NCASAUmp in response:

One thing to keep in mind, (snipped irrelevancy), is if the ball bounds over any part of the base in fair territory, where it lands after that is irrelevant. The PU in the OP probably saw the ball go over the base in fair territory.

derwil said in the OP:
"His explination is that it was fair when it went past 3b. "

:confused: What are you getting at? :confused:

NCASAUmp Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:27am

Quote:

derwil said in the OP:

NCASAUmp in response:

Of course, but that's assuming it first touched the ground BEFORE passing 3B. In the OP, the ball first touched the ground in foul territory beyond 3B. It did not "bound past 3B."

Ref Ump Welsch Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:23pm

Ooops...sorry, didn't have my morning caffiene fix before I posted. I missed the word "initially" in the OP. I'll go to the shed and flog myself now.

JEL Tue Oct 27, 2009 04:53pm

derwil,

Was this the Viper Tournament?

If so, make sure you read up on rule 6-10-E FP (not that you don't, or this was you, but some one up there may have missed one).

I don't want my brother in law calling complaining anymore!

7in60 Tue Oct 27, 2009 06:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 632798)
The ball was in the pitcher's hands in the circle WHEN?

If the ball was back in the circle prior to the runner deviating her path toward 1B, that is a LBR violation and the runner should have been declared out.

Thank goodness we don't have to worry about this in Canada.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Oct 27, 2009 07:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7in60 (Post 633176)
Thank goodness we don't have to worry about this in Canada.

If I had my druthers, we wouldn't in this country, either.

I bet about 20 posters just said, "damn, I hope he doesn't get on his Let's Kill the LBR soapbox again." :cool:

Skahtboi Wed Oct 28, 2009 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 633182)
If I had my druthers, we wouldn't in this country, either.

I bet about 20 posters just said, "damn, I hope he doesn't get on his Let's Kill the LBR soapbox again." :cool:

Actually, I am one who agrees.

Dakota Wed Oct 28, 2009 09:31am

"damn, I hope he doesn't get on his Let's Kill the LBR soapbox again." :cool:

greymule Wed Oct 28, 2009 09:48am

derwil, exactly what and where was this tournament? I'm in Blount Springs and would have gone to see some of it.