The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on what your definition of "act" is

Starting with the 2007 season, ASA (unlike any other softball or baseball ruleset) deleted "intentionally" from the rules declaring out a batter-runner or a runner who interferes with a thrown ball. But the definition of interference still requires an act by the offensive player. For purposes of the interference-with-a-thrown-ball rule, "act" is interpreted to require that the runner do something unusual or not reasonably expected. The mere act of running the bases in the usually expected manner therefore cannot be an act of interference. The black-and-white rules are fleshed out, and made sensible, by their interpretation.

As an umpire, you must judge whether the player's action was sufficiently unusual to have impeded the defensive player. For example, a player who falls while running and then is hit by a thrown ball while getting up probably has interfered with a throw, even though that was not her intent.

There was an informative thread on this topic back in May called something like "R3 blocks thrown ball" which I would link if I knew how.

Any comments, I-Maf?
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Starting with the 2007 season, ASA (unlike any other softball or baseball ruleset) deleted "intentionally" from the rules declaring out a batter-runner or a runner who interferes with a thrown ball. But the definition of interference still requires an act by the offensive player. For purposes of the interference-with-a-thrown-ball rule, "act" is interpreted to require that the runner do something unusual or not reasonably expected. The mere act of running the bases in the usually expected manner therefore cannot be an act of interference. The black-and-white rules are fleshed out, and made sensible, by their interpretation.

As an umpire, you must judge whether the player's action was sufficiently unusual to have impeded the defensive player. For example, a player who falls while running and then is hit by a thrown ball while getting up probably has interfered with a throw, even though that was not her intent.

There was an informative thread on this topic back in May called something like "R3 blocks thrown ball" which I would link if I knew how.

Any comments, I-Maf?
Nice reference to Situation 5 of the Int/Obs presentation at the 2007 UIC Clinic, but why would you think I would have a comment? It supports what Steve and I have stated.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

sight the rule before you can cite it, and the situation has a site

Clever. A+
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

that makes more sense. I think my issue is that being stuck by a thrown ball in reference to 8.2.F.3 would be interference. Especially now with taking out 'intent' in interference.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oakla:

I think this is the problem:

Above you say "being struck by a thrown ball.... would be interference."

Thats NOT what the rule says. The rule says batter is out if he interferes with a thrown ball. He did not interfere, he was hit. Two different things.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 8, section 2-F-3 states that the 'batter/runner is out' if 'the batter/runner interferes with a thrown ball while out of the batter's box

Or to go further. As stated above, a BR is out IF he interferes. No one would question that. Is being hit by a throw interfering? Not in itself. If so............. kick ball, here we come.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
sight the rule before you can cite it, and the situation has a site

Clever. A+
Thanks, greymule!
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
. . . why would you think I would have a comment?
Just wondering if you had any problem with my understanding of the authoritative interpretation.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Rule 8, section 2-F-3 states that the 'batter/runner is out' if 'the batter/runner interferes with a thrown ball while out of the batter's box

Or to go further. As stated above, a BR is out IF he interferes. No one would question that. Is being hit by a throw interfering? Not in itself. If so............. kick ball, here we come.
agreed, just as we still judge intent by the offensive player, we also judge the intent of the defensive player as well. So we don't have kick ball.

Which leads to this question:
So why does the book specifically mention being 'out of the box'. Why would that matter (being in or out of the box)? in terms of the current definition of interference mentioned in this thread.

shouldn't it simply read 'the batter/runner interferes with a thrown ball' and leave it at that?
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
Which leads to this question:
So why does the book specifically mention being 'out of the box'. Why would that matter (being in or out of the box)? in terms of the current definition of interference mentioned in this thread.

shouldn't it simply read 'the batter/runner interferes with a thrown ball' and leave it at that?
That originated (as best I understand it) to cover the following (or a similar) situation: R1 on 3rd, 3-1 count, pitch is ball 4. Catcher attempts a pickoff throw to third base, and the throw hits the (now) batter-runner, who has not yet left the batter's box, but was turning to drop the bat.

ASA 7-6.Q would appear to consider that action actively (albeit not intentionally) interfering with the thrown ball. But, this is no longer a batter, it is a batter-runner. So, absent intent, could it be interference? The purpose of "out of the box" is to indicate that the transition from batter to batter-runner may not be instantaneous, and that while still in the box, some added protection is available for a nonintentional act; once out of the box, however, the act is the determining factor.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
That originated (as best I understand it) to cover the following (or a similar) situation: R1 on 3rd, 3-1 count, pitch is ball 4. Catcher attempts a pickoff throw to third base, and the throw hits the (now) batter-runner, who has not yet left the batter's box, but was turning to drop the bat.

ASA 7-6.Q would appear to consider that action actively (albeit not intentionally) interfering with the thrown ball. But, this is no longer a batter, it is a batter-runner. So, absent intent, could it be interference? The purpose of "out of the box" is to indicate that the transition from batter to batter-runner may not be instantaneous, and that while still in the box, some added protection is available for a nonintentional act; once out of the box, however, the act is the determining factor.
makes sense....thanks