View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

It all comes down to "what did the BR do to interfere"?

Please don't say "running in fair territory" as there is no rule dictating where a runner can or cannot run at any time.
I would dis agree with that statement, simply based on the 'running lane' alone and running between home and first in this case. I understand this is not the case when running between other bases (where the runner 'creates' their own baseline unless a tag play is being made on them)

Quote:
The answer is the second word of the definition of "Interference" in Rule 1. The BR must actually do something to interfere. A player's mere presence is not an "act" of interference.
Since the ASA rule book has been so 'vanilla-ized' over the past few years, and one key element of interference has been removed (in this case intent). I am not sure about your interpretation here either.

my question is , if a batter/runner is 'OUT' when struck by a thrown ball OUTSIDE the running lane, why would this play not be applicable to this rule? If the runner had reached the running lane and is struck with a thrown ball over fair territory, we have an out.

This maybe more of a rule book clarification, but reading the book and interpreting the black and white as the book reads today. It appears that an out should be called. (whether I agree with that or not)