View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

'Slapper' Batter/Runner interference question

First post here, but a long time lurker. I have searched the forum but don't see if this situation has ever been brought up.

I brought this situation up to a local metro deputy UIC and his 'results' are also sighted:

this is long so hear me out
(my original email to UIC)

play:

batter/runner hits a ball that rests in front of home plate in fair territory, and is running completely in fair territory BEFORE reaching the 30 foot running lane. (lets just say this is a typical 'California slapper' technique.) catcher (F2), fields the ball in fair territory and throws the ball towards 1st base. BEFORE the batter/runner reaches the 'running lane', batter/runner is hit with the ball WHILE completely in fair territory, but also taking a direct line to the '30 foot running lane'. What is the result of the play?

Rule 8, section 2-F-3 states that the 'batter/runner is out' if 'the batter/runner interferes with a thrown ball while out of the batter's box

also in the RULES SUPPLEMENT (POE)

section 33-A-3 states that INTERFERENCE includes 'interfering with a thrown ball'.

I have yet to find any exception siting the 'batter/runner is not out' BEFORE the running line.

NOW HERE IS A PROBLEM!!!!!!

The latest ASA Umpire's Casebook version I have is from 2007, but I would be surprised if it has actually changed:

PLAY 8.2-16 (d)

B1 hits the ball and it rolls in front of home plate. The fielder throws to 1B and hits B1 (d) 'in the first thirty feet between home and 1st base.'

Ruling of (d)
B1 is not out and the ball remains live (1-INTERFERENCE; 8-2E). The problem is the 8-2E is not applicable to this play.

It is possible this my case book is out date, but I would like to have a clarification as to what rule the Case Book is referring to, as I seem to remember in clinics this being talked about but no rule sited. From what I can find in the Rule Book, there is no such rule to substantiate not calling interference.

the UIC's response:
"the rule you are looking at 8-2-f-3, applys to a batter who interfers with the catchters throw on a steal. Remember the running lane is there only to give catcher an unobstructed throw to first base, therefore prior to the runner reaching the running lane she may run in fair territory, all I have at this time is a poor throw from the catcher. I will find the rule support for this and let you know. "

my response:
Be definition of the rule, all of Rule 8 applies to when a better becomes a base runner, so hear me out:

Rule 8

Section 1. THE BATTER BECOMES A BATTER-RUNNER.

A. As soon as the batter legally hits a fair ball.

Section 2. BATTER-RUNNER IS OUT.

F. When the batter-runner interferes with:
3. a thrown ball while out of the batter’s box

You are saying that Rule 7 is also being applied to rule 8-2F-3 and more so, what your are inferring to, as already addressed in Rule 7

Rule 7 Section 6. THE BATTER IS OUT.

P. When hindering the catcher from catching or throwing the ball by stepping

out of the batter’s box.

Since in this play, the batter has already become a 'batter/runner' by definition, rule 7 should not apply. I have still have yet to find anything in rule 8 or any other part of the rule book that supports PLAY 8.2-16 (d) in the CASE BOOK.

I have never gotten a response to this play in over a year.

Your thoughts?
thanks in advance